Lip sluring fast?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 12, 2011.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    How do you lip slur fast?
    What are some exercises that help you become able to lip slur fast?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Just use a lot of air and practice. Just lip slur to get better at it, technical studies WILL help...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Practice

Lip slur excercises.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I asked this question a bit back in another thread --- maybe see if you can find it? There are some good answers in there.
    While air is important, learning the role of the jaw, tongue, and lips helps too. Something that helped me get faster is to play both notes, and know "where" each one is. Then, keeping a steady airstream, and starting slowly, switch back and forth. And then increase speed. This may have been more of a mental exercise for me, but it's helped.

Gmonady is right. Practice.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Learn trumpet syllables, but gmonady couldn't have said it any better. You don't have to be a Dr, but it sure does help.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Denis Wick suggested that playing slurs slowly, finding and memorizing the the breaking points between them helps. Helped me, back in the day.

7. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    One of the first things is to keep the articulation even with square corners between the intervals. In other words, finish one note before you start the move to the other. Neither note's pitch is affected before the slur takes place; each note is finished and self sufficent into itself. Look to the Stamp excercises for more information on the concept of square corners and finishing the notes.

I started tonguing the interval, evenly metric to each other, prefacing the interval with eigth notes to set the tempo. Start with a slow tempo, and with practice if will be faster. As Stamp used to say "go slow, to go fast" and "don't cheat the note".

8. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Lip slurs have been a problem for me for a long time. I recently had some insight into this that helped me a lot. You can read more about it in my post My Lips Dont Want to Slur - TimsTrumpetPlace

Basically, the short version is I was too focused on using the lips to do the majority of the work. The lips are an important part of the equation but I discovered the real power behind lip slurs is the breath. If your embouchure isn't strong enough to form the proper aperture for the note you are playing then no amount of air will cause the note to come out right. It is a partnership. Don't underestimate the importance of proper breath support. If you are relying too much on the lips and not enough on the air you will know it by the quality of your tone--"thin and pinched." The proper balance is necessary for good tone. One more thought about that--everyone's physical characteristics are different so the perfect balance between wind and embouchure will be different for me than for others. We are all unique.

Don't ever forget the trumpet is a wind instrument, not an embouchure instrument. ;-)

I know I may be preaching to the choir but this has helped me a lot. :D

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    colin advanced lip flexibilities &
    Irons 27 exercises

practice slow... with a metronome.

READ THE TEXT that is in the IRONS book about tongue placement!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, so you are telling me I have wasted 40 years of my life, practicing every day, with one of my many goals being to keep my embouchure in shape and highly responsive for the demands the horn places on me, all for naught!?