Lip sluring fast?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 12, 2011.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    It's not how much you practise but how much you practise right that will help you. :D

--bumblebee

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    He's just trying to remind us that air and breathing are also essential to trumpet playing.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Unless you don't plan on living more than a few minutes, air and breathing are pretty essential for everything else too.

--bumblebee

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is EXACTLY what he said!

The process of changing a note without changing valves is called "overblowing". We are actually forcing the resonant trumpet to add a wavelength in the length of the horn.

Pedal C is one wavelength
    low C is two
    2nd line G is 3
    3rd space C is 4
    4th space E is 5
    G on top of the staff is 6
    Bb above the staff is 7
    and high C is 8

The tone does NOT change just because we buzz higher. Maintaining the pitch requires enough embouchure strength and air pressure to prevent the trumpet from returning to one wavelength - essentially its state of rest.

So, just playing more slur exercizes only helps IF we have a constant build process for the other factors of playing at the same time. Our embouchure works with fine motor control, that means hundreds to thousands of repetitions until we get habits built.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am going to assume you are referring to slurs across the same fingering
    Start practicing slurs using a metronome ...slowly
    If your embrochure is correct
    If your breath support is correct
    You should be able to "flip" the notes using your tongue... syllables ah-ee --ah --ee (but not limited to those) You should try not to move your jaw around ... the syllables are for the tongue.
    Some players say it's like whistling ... and can use the tip of their tongue ( I can't but I know great players who do)
    as always a good teacher is the way to go..
    and the suggestions above about Irons, Stamps breathing and practice practice,practice, are spot on as well.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is EXACTLY what I was saying in response to the post that, "Don't ever forget the trumpet is a wind instrument, not an embouchure instrument." I would submit that the trumpet is very much an embouchure dependent instrument, and to saying that it is NOT is NOT EXACTLY correct. I am a little confused here but I actually think Rowuk's comments as I quoted above supports my beliefs as well. Right!

Playing the trumpet is very much embouchure dependent, and much of our intelligent practice time should be devoted to supporting exercises that (as Rowuk so well stated) enhances fine motor control. Using lip slurs wisely will achieve this. Using octave alternating phrasing will achieve this. Playing long tones in between these exercises.... priceless. This is what I would refer to as intelligent practice skills.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    And yes, technical flexibility studies WILL help tremendously. Colin advanced lip flexibilities is a wonderful technical study. And there are many more out there. Like ANY technical study, it must be done correctly to gain anything out of it, so a teacher is an important part of learning the mechanics of slurring and flexibilities.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Simple:practice lip slurring slow until that is perfected then pick up the tempo. Arbans page 39-56. LOTSA ink on those pages to keep you busy for a lifetime. ;-)

9. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Seems I stirred up some discussion. I never said embouchure wasn't important--I said it is a partnership and balance is needed. As I said before, you have to have a strong embouchure, without it the wind is useless. But if you don't have proper breath support then embouchure alone won't produce good tone. You have to have both. :roll:

The point I was making is I was trying to "squeeze" high notes out without proper wind support and when I realized what I was doing and corrected the problem by increasing the breath support I found the proper balance for me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I took a few trumpet lessons 20+ years ago when I was in high school. In our band trumpet was THE cool instrument and playing high notes and super fast lip slurs was even cooler! Silly youth. Now as a comeback player I realize the most important thing is practicing lip slurs slow, with a metronome!, and with complete control. I also make a point of not trying to progress too much too fast. I do the usual quarter/8th/triplet/16th note exercises but rarely get to the 16th because it's too much. If the notes aren't even and squared off (as someone earlier mentioned) I stop immediately. Something to work towards :)