Lip sluring fast?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 12, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I just soft tongue and fake it. :oops:

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When we play a note, the air column inside the instrument has defined and mathematically predictable areas of high pressure and no pressure. In physics these are known as nodes and anti-nodes. The higher the tone, the more of these nodes inside the instrument. With a horn of sufficient light weight, we can play a long tone we can gently run a finger around the leadpipe and/or bell and feel some of the vibrations. Change to a different harmonic and that place will move.

Now for the esoteric part. Playing a long tone, we can shift our awareness to inside the trumpet, and imagine/feel a point of resistance somewhere inside the horn. I call these "magic bubbles." To slur up, we can "blow" this magic bubble further away, backing off will allow the magic bubble to return to its place closer to the mouthpiece.

Our body will memorize the feel of these notes and nodes much more quickly than the cognitive control of several variables can. Remember that the embouchure is (or should be, in the Zen Vulgano philosophy)formed in part by the note that it is playing.

Experiment a bit, and have fun!

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    set the metronome for the tempo that you CAN play the 16th notes... and THAT is your baseline starting tempo. Increase one click at a time.

4. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    Practice! I think it is a book by Wally Smith called something like ‘Lip Flexibility’ or ‘Lip Flexibility for the Trumpet’ that I used back in my learning days. Practice these every day. ALWAYS do all of your practice on a metronome and log what your times are. Keep a careful log of what you are playing and when. This way you can see your increases! When I have time, I split my practice sessions up and make shorter sessions that I do throughout the day. I divide these into what I call ‘modules’. These are simply routines that I will work on during that particular session. For example, I have a ‘warm up’ module that I do early in the day. I have ‘modules’ for working on transcribed solos (which I play as etudes and for the same reasons!), modules for what I call ‘range and power’, a module for jazz improv, another one for scales and so on. The only real one I do every day is the warm up module. The others I vary throughout my practice week, or as I find I have a need to focus attention on that area. Good luck!

5. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I like how methodical you are. I need a system or "method" to keep me focused. I accomplish much more that way.

6. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    I am generally not a methodical and organized person. But! I do have a very highly organized practice routine and I stick with it. I got into this mostly because I am lazy! I don’t like to do extra work for any reason! So, through lots of trial and error I figured out the best way to dovetail exercises and stream line my practice sessions so that I didn’t waste any time or any notes. What I mean is that my routine that works my fingering technique is also my routine that works breath control and a bit more. I start everything on a metronome and start at tempos I call ‘painfully slow’, and then work it up from there. Speed happens, but only after muscle memory! Good luck! From a lazy trumpet player!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WOW!! trumpet playing dudes and dudettes -- now I am only going to practice for 10 minutes a day --- but I am going to practice as close to perfect as I can --- watch out James Morrison from the land of Oz (famous trumpet playing trombonist)--- I will now have time to pick up and practice a trombone!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

and in order to stick to the thread topic -- that would mean to play fast slurs -- I would devote 53 seconds to those each day -- OK 1 minute and 46 seconds when you add the trombone in there ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I love the way you write - like a new age-y physicist

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is EXACTLY what you said:
    "Don't ever forget the trumpet is a wind instrument, not an embouchure instrument."
    I will not let this statement go until you explain your way out of it, big boy!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In the Onadian philosophy, the embouchure is the vibrating string that pluks the note. It can be an A string, D string E string, and (calm down Zen boy), even the G string. Find the note and just "pluck it" and it will happen, assumming you hit the right string with your rehearsed fine motor control. Experiment a bit, and have fun.