Lip sluring fast?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the concept, but a plucked note doesn't have much sustain. The early synthesizers had their Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release knobs. For the Sustain, I like the "Vulgano RAY OF POWER."

It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Vulgano version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to "support" the air stream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in "trying hard."

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body.

2. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Yes, I did say EXACTLY that, but that is just one of several things I said. I also said this.

"If your embouchure isn't strong enough to form the proper aperture for the note you are playing then no amount of air will cause the note to come out right. It is a partnership."

AND

"The proper balance is necessary for good tone."

I was just trying to emphasize that wind is a major factor in sound production for a brasswind instrument. I have said from my first comment in this thread that you have to have strong embouchure and also good breath support to play higher notes... are you disagreeing with me about wind being a part of the equation?

My comment about the trumpet being a wind instrument and not an embouchure instrument was an attempt at humor for the purpose of emphasizing wind as an important part of the equation. I guess rather than humorous it ruffled your feathers... (Oh, wait a minute, if you don't have feathers you might not like that comment either).

Oh, by the way, how high can you play without using any wind? :D <---- SARCASM ALERT

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, Brother Vulgano, I do use the Vulgano Ray of Power concept and so agree the chakra focus is key. To power the wind from below with Vulganian philosophy, and sustain the embouchure of Onadian philosophy, and we Brother Vulgano will atone... we will atone.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh, your explanation is exceptional, and with this I do agree. See also my comments regarding Brother Vulgano, I believe we will atone. And as for sarcasm. I like sarcasm. I may have to try to use it sometime.:dontknow:

5. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Awesome. You should try sarcasm sometime, but I must warn you, if you use sarcasm with your voice there will be wind involved. :lol: <--- ANOTHER SARCASM ALERT

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But from which end does the wind prevail... from which end does it prevail?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and in the kingtrumpetosophy you just play the horn!!!! --- if you want low notes you play them, and if you want high notes -- well, you play them-- if you want fast notes -- well, you just play them, and if you want slow notes, ---well, in kingtrumpetosophy all of the energy you use to image the Ray of Power, or the chicken plucking onadian philosophy -- you would then put into the horn --- so in kingtrumpetosophy we don't waste our energy on imagining what the horn could do if we THOUGHT in some existentialistic ideas ----we just play the horn, and make music ----- and keep our mind focused on that!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And this friends, is how Kingtrumpet maintains his current level of proficiency. At this rate, I should be able to catch him by year's end. Hurry up KT, if you adapt the Vulgano/Onady philosophy [Also known as the Red Light on the G-string approach], you just perhaps may maintain your lead.

9. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    You can go in endless circles of philosophical thought, meditative introspection, higher plane discussions and discourse on eastern thinking encompassing everything from Confucius to the Vedas … but I still adhere to the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] Century Bavarian school of Hops and Brew, which teaches that to play effectively an instrumentalist needs a clear head. Or another drink.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This recommendation could work well towards releasing any inhibition to proceeding with the Vulgano/Onady technique. So I concur, this is an enhancingly good idea!

Cheers!