Lip Slurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Feb 28, 2010.

1. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey guys,

In an effort to really build my embochure and range the proper way. I have made a commitment to Lip Slurs and pedal tones. I sometimes don't get to everything in my session I would like cause the ol lip gets tired, but it has/will make a difference.

My question to all of my esteemed Trumpeteers is as follows:

Would larger intervaled slurs (c4 to a5) so 6th or better, have them same affect on building the embochure as true lip slurs.

I have been working on the legato and slurring exercises in Arbans (page 30 or so) and have noticed it is more about the larger intervals.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I use Arban's page 44 #22 and 23. Those were what helped me the most. Extend them beyond the ranges written on the page (but don't kill yourself.) Don't practice loudly, and use a metronome. Make sure both notes in the slur sound equally full. When I was learning this stuff, one of the notes would be much less clear. Start slowly and work your way up. Make a graph of your progress with the bpm you can do them at if that helps you see your success.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Jason sez:
    Would larger intervaled slurs (c4 to a5) so 6th or better, have them same affect on building the embochure as true lip slurs.
    -----------
    Well, those are true lip slurs too. They're just a little harder to do. Stick with the lip slurs and yes experiment when you can with intervals.
    Here's a couple I think you'll find handy especially when you're in these keys:
    If you are doing a ii V7 I (G-7, C7, FMaj7) in the key of F:
    Start on F (on the space) and play the next two notes that require 1st valve
    (F, Bb,D)
    Next start on G (on the line) and play the next two notes that require open.
    (G, C, E)
    Now comes the fun part:
    Alternate them and play them in a triad fashion! Here goes.
    Use 1st valve only (F, Bb D)
    Use open only (G, C, E)
    1st valve (Bb, D, F)
    open (C, E, G)
    --------
    Enjoy and keep up the great work.

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The Colin Lip flexibilities book helped me more than anything - I had problems doing shakes when I was in college, but once I started using those drills I got much stronger, and have had good shakes for years. Some of the simpler excersises have made a great short warm-up for me, too.

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Im using the collin at the moment, its briliant! works from the middle both up and down, strongly recomend it! also do them really slowly aswel, sometimes doing it slower and more acurate can be better for you than as fast as you can, ive found that i can 'slot' the notes better after doing slower more acurate slurs. i used to use domminant 7ths eg c e g Bb c, great for helping range and flexability. my practice is devided up so il do half hour out the aurban then half hour rest then half out slurs then half hour rest then half hour scales and jazz work, so make sure you split your practice up to stop you getting nakerd!

6. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    The best book of slurs, in my opinion, is "Lip Flexibilities" by Walter M. Smith. Although it is not exactly sequential from beginning to end, it does address all of the concerns of flexibility and speaks to the question of "how" and not just "what". Colin is good too however, I have always had an issue with the idea of playing Bb with an open fingering - why would it be a good idea to teach you muscles to do that when clearly, that's not what you really want to do?

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Alan Vizzutti has in his books some very good lip flexibility studies. Using things such as this would be very beneficial.

8. euphmaster

euphmaster New Friend

May 18, 2007
    Yeah, you can't go wrong with Lip Slurs for endurance building, range, and flexibility. Do all kinds of LS, and try to keep the ideas balanced (upper range matched with lower range). There are a lot of great books out there, and after you discover which ideas work best for your needs, you can begin creating your own routine. What I consider to be my warm-up routine consists of about 15 minutes of various LS, followed by chromatic range expanding exercises, and multi-octave scales with arpeggios for another 15 minutes. I mention the second part, because if range building is one of your goals, the approached I use now seems to work the best for me. Range building exercises happen throughout my practice routine actually. All-in-all, do LS, they're great.

-em-

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use the Earl Irons book. No big intervals. I sort my playing out so that I start with longtones and slurs, then tunes and technical stuff at the end. Music always gets the optimum chops. The technical stuff is "nice to have".

10. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    If you can slur to it, you own it!!