Lip soreness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

How is everything? It's been a long time...

Starting school and joining ensembles is always a tough thing at first because of how much playing you are doing comparative to the summer when you just practice.

Is it normal for the lip to get tight and a little swollen in a situation like this or should it always feel "normal." After rehearsals, even though my lip might be tired I still have much more to work on for lessons and such and I can't afford to take time off the horn. Is there a way around this tightness or is it just an adjustment like lifting weights after not lifting for a long time and dealing with soreness?

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

It's normal... easy does it and everything will be normal eventually.

ML

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A good warm up goes a long way to help our playing. Depending on how much time you have it can be anything from fluttering the lips like Bobby Shew or taking a half hour or so of quiet playing and flexibility exercises, especially those that have you skip over one of the natural tones, like C to c in order to work out the stiffness from the day before. If your teeth start to wiggle (mine did after some of those nasty 4 hour funk gigs doing stupid stuff like taking Tower of Power up an octave) maybe you are using too much pressure, but other than that, be patient. It’s all good.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    In addition to all of the above, get some ChopSaver and use it!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Artur Rubinstein has a quote that applies:
    "If I do not practice for one day, I know it. Two days, my wife says something. Three days, the whole world."