Lip Swelling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Andyydna101, Jun 18, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The name of the group is Kinesis. They were based out of Ft. Collins back in the late 70's early 80's. It was a band made up of players from the CSU Statesman, a couple No. Texas State Grads, and by coincidence, a keyboardist I first started playing jazz with in my musical infancy in the late 60's, early 70's in Cincinnati Ohio. The key boardist is a University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music graduate. We reunited briefly once again in Colorado with the nucleus of the band known as Kinesis.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Swelling is edema... with more hypoxia, the reddening progresses. It is normal to get a little bit of swelling from a good health workout. If you start reddening, you are on your way to overuse. Again, if you rely on using your control as an early warning system, you will decrease the risk of progressing to this stage.

By the way, with years of use, you can develop a ring around the lip. It is typically not red, in fact, it appears as lighter than the surrounding skin.

3. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    As far as putting your horn down for the rest of the day every time your lips swell, I am not sure that's the best approach, if this is a continuous problem. My approach when I have swelling lips is to practice smaller lengths of time but practice more times throughout the day, focusing on the mid range of the horn. You can still gain valuable practice time, focusing on technical passages, cleanness of attack, air support, etc. and you will eventually learn to overcome (play through) your problem. Practicing the low range helps in order to get the buzz going through the chops.

4. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    If your lips start to hurt like *curse word* after a while of playing, then I would call THAT lip swelling.
    My lips swelled as well--I started using less mouthpiece pressure on those high notes (I lost a couple notes at the high register because of that), and it went away. :)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, when it gets to this point, it's beyond swelling, this signals lip damage. Do not let it get to this stage.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To get the blood flow through (not just to) the lip, after about 10 minutes or so, stop to massage your lips. This is best done by placing your thumb with the pad of the thumb under the internal lip surface, then taking the side of the adjacent index finger and then rolling the lip tissue gently onto the base of the thumb pad. Do this for about 30 to 45 seconds. Then move to another spot, and do it again. Keep doing this until you have taken a couple of minutes of massage time.

By doing this, you will be encouraging blood flow through your lip to carry of lactic acid that builds up from strenuous playing. By doing this, swelling is minimized. The best medicine is preventative medicine.