Lip Swelling..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoss4476, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Hoss4476

Hoss4476 New Friend

Sep 30, 2013
    Hey guys, I've realized after playing for long periods of time for (upwards of 4 hours in a row) a few days in a row I get some pretty bad lip swelling on both lips. I'm in a jazz camp currently and we have our performance tomorrow and I'm lead trumpet...the problem is when my lips are swollen I find it much more difficult to play high, so what do you all do to reduce lip swelling? Also, do you have any tips for what to do the day before a concert practice wise? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Lip massage after EACH passage. Place your index finger on the outside of your lip and your thumb on the inside and do a circular rub. This gets the lactic acid out of the area, and thereby clears the stimulus for you immune system to send the attack that causes the swelling. Then at the end of the session, ice the lip down by pocketing a chip of ice cube between your inner lip and gum. Nothing like massage and cryo therapy to keep your vigor and vitality in the performance zone.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I make sure that I NEVER need to seriously practice anything having to do with the performance one day before. If something goes wrong, the psyche can really be screwed!

When playing lead keep icewater near the stand. If you have real problems with swelling, it could be in your best interest to start playing more choruses. 2nd trumpet could be a better position than not getting through the lead book.

Gary gave some great tips for reducing swelling, but I don't know of ANY real lead players that need a bandaid like this.

Without seeing you play, it is impossible to see if your breathing or body use are not good enough for lead. In this case brute force replaces brains and the body (face, lips) simply react the way they naturally should. Muscle tissue does not care if we are trumpet players.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The real answer is to be in shape to begin with. Nothing you can do to get fitness when you show up flabby to boot camp (or band camp!). Aleve, Ibuprofen, ice, massage etc... are all the standard fixes for AFTER the damage is done. REST. Low soft long tones, chromatic scales. Practice soft.

Playing strategies? Quit hot dogging before rehearsals and wasting chops you don't have. Quit 8va'ing. Lay out of unisons. Play half as loud. Pace yourself. Pass the charts around.

I made my own lip balm made from oils super infused with herbs (Arnica, Willow, Comfrey, etc...) to aid in reducing recovery time and things good for chops like shea & cocoa butters, lanolin, vitamin E oil, etc... ChopSaver is a commercially available one. Mine is not yet. Massage it in like DrG suggests. It works.

5. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    +1 on the ice water on stage. I have become very conscious of the amount of pressure I am exerting on my lips, which has helped as well. The other thing I like to do to loosen up and get the circulation is buzz on a large mouthpiece. I picked up an ACB 1.5FX awhile back, which has a deeeeeep v cup and a nice big rim and cushion. I find that very relaxed buzzing helps to get that tingle going in my chops. Between that and the ice water, I can pretty easily make it through those long rehearsals and gigs.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I don't like icing my chops while playing (after ok though!) I think it stiffens them up and I like the loose supple feeling.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree that jiarby has the "real answer". You can't develop strength and endurance overnight. This is a common problem at jazz camp or band camp. And the bottom line is that you are playing too much. It happened to me at jazz camp back when I was in high school, and it can be very frustrating.

You can't build endurance overnight. But you can consider some the great advice by DrG and others. A little ice, a little ibuprofen, a little massage, a little lip balm. These can all help ... "a little". Don't expect miracles. But every little bit will help.

In addition, I like the advice to be as efficient as possible -- jiarby's comments about "Playing strategies".

Mike

8. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Has anyone experienced lip swelling as a result of prescription medicines. I recently started to have this symptom. Doctor thinks it's stress. Going to get a second opinion. Nothing scarier than putting the horn to your lips (after 50 years playing) and NOT being able to get a buzz happening!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If the medication is causing it, the swelling would not likely stop with the lip... I would likely involve the tongue as well... So if it is related to the lips only, listen to your good doctor... It is more likely a stress reaction. Remember, doctors are good!

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Yes. They are good. :-)