Lip tingle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by just, Dec 19, 2014.

1. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Hello everyone!

I have lately changed my morning routine and I now usually feel a tingle on my lips after doing some easy and soft exercises. My teacher told some me some time ago that this is very good. After a while of playing the tingle goes away, should I stop playing and rest when I feel the tingle or should I continue playing until it goes away?

Thanks, let me know if I haven't expressed myself properly, English is not my first language.

Just

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, I don't know what to say! I've only been playing regularly for the last 9 years. I get lip tingle when I play extended songs when I haven't been able to regularly practice. For me, it's the first sign of fatigue but I've also been told by my teacher it's a good thing. PAIN is a bad thing. Doing Christmas melodies and sing alongs for concerts this time of year leaves little time for rest and the "tingle" creeps in. Rest a minute or two and it goes away and we keep on playing. If it hurts, stop! Merry Christmas!!

3. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Thanks, probably I'm just overthinking thing haha!! Merry Christmas!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The tingle, as far as I know, comes from increased blood flow, and is a good sign.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was gonna say that but I'm not a doctor and didn't want to dispense false information.:roll::roll:

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Amen. By order of the Trumpetmaster moderators, false information shall only be dispensed by qualified physicians.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I concur with the the good Dr. Brother. Tingle is blood flow, blood flow is good. The only real EARLY sign that you are straining your lips is when you start noticing accuracy problems with your performance. That is the sign then to back off.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hmmm... That hasn't stopped you in the past. So have you been visited by any of the Christmas Ghosts lately. Bah, Humbug!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, I resemble that fact and represent that remark!