Lip Trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrian, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Adrian

Adrian New Friend

May 24, 2004
    Hey everyone. I was just wondering if you guys could just put down what you think is the most effective way at performing a lip trill or a shake. Thanks!

2. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Well...you kinda' said two different techniques. A lip trill is a very fast switch between two partials (lip slurring). For example a high Bb to C open or G to A with the 3rd valve etc etc etc.

A shake is more of a hand thing. where instead of lip slurring the notes, you shake the horn so that you play one note when the horn is tight against your lips and another note when the horn is pulled away from your lips (all on the same fingering)

That's all I got,
    Cheers
    Eric

3. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What you have just described is two different methods to accomplish much the same thing. The main difference for me is that one is done with the tongue, and one is done with pressure on the chops. In general, the real lip trill, the one done solely with the chops, is going to be a cleaner, less crass effect, and it has much more control, but I have always been able to shake much faster using the hand method. If you practice the shake thing enough, it gets to a point where you almost can't tell the difference between the two.

Of course, getting the chops to a point where you can actually do that - that's another story entirely.

5. dalizzie

dalizzie New Friend

Nov 24, 2004
    Hi Adrian,
    I find the best way to perform a lip trill is to move the back of the tongue up and down rapidly and mainly use altenative fingering when in the upper register i.e. G on top of the stave use 1&3, A 1 ledger line above use 3rd valve.
    To practice the rapid movement play scales using the back of the tongue only as you would when practicing triple tongueing.
    Hope this helps.

6. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    My lip trill regimen has always been to take a steady tempo, then grab a note to trill on, and progressively move to faster notes. Quarter notes between the partial, then to 8th notes, then to 8th note triplets, then 16th, then 16th triplets, then either a hold or just rapid movement as fast as you can... all for 4 beats each in the same exercise.

I would start with second line G to 3rd line B on the fingering 1&3, then move up chromatically. IMO, its fundamental to do these bottom ones first and always, as it will make the higher ones easier given the closer partials.

Now, I've provided a good exercise for lip trills but I still have a problem with them. The problem I've found is that I can practice them, and get them really solid in practice, but once it becomes time to trill that note in the middle of a tune, my chops lock up... anyone point out why this is and have advice to correct it? I have my lip trills very controlled, at least while doing the exercise, but in the middle of a piece it seems much harder.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I just lip trilled for the first time ever!

I was practising a C-D trill, and then thought I'd try an E-F# with 123, using the same feeling in the lips, and it worked. I also tried a G-A trill and that worked too. I think I have been making the mistake of thinking of the two notes seperately.

It's still very uneven, but it's a start!