Lip Trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by camelbrass, Nov 25, 2006.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Manny,

I've yet to master lip trills and am looking for your advice.

Most of the literature I read on executing lip trills focuses on manipulating the toungue to achieve the changes in inter-oral pressure required to change pitch quickly. I have never actually, consciously used my tongue to create notes in any register as I prefer the sound I achieve when it sits down and out of the way. This may be to the disadvantage of my high range but since I'm able to play all the notes I need to I guess it's never been a problem.

I'm looking to try my hand at the natural trumpet and lip trilling is an essential skill in order to play the repetoire.

Should I start to learn to use my tongue (old dog..new tricks) or are there alternatives?

Regards,

Trevor

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Trevor,

I learned to lip trill by listening the trills on Mendez's recording and then making the trills on the Arban book sound exactly like that: well-notched and fast. the key is in the clarity from note to note. When I lip trill there's no movement in the throat area whereas many people activating the swallowing mechanism and you'll see a lot of unnecessary movement.

The best way is to find a positive example and use your talent to imitate using your ears.

ML

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    OK thanks Manny.

I will admit now, rather embarrassingly, that I haven't listened much to Mendez. I'll make it my mission.

It always seems to come back to Arbans. Remarkable book.

Thanks again. I'm working hard on high soft entrances..don't think I'll ever be totally comfortable with them but I'll get there.

Regards,

Trevor

4. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Trevor,

I don't know about you but I have had different teachers tell me different ways of doing a lip trill. I have had them suggest I move my botttom jaw slightly and another one told me to use my tongue. It is sometimes confusing.
    I guess Manny's message is that we need to find someone, like Mendez, who does lip trills well and try to copy their sound and technique. Basically, finding out what works best for us.

Mike

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You the "I get it" award for the day, Mike.

ML

6. ilikethetrumpet

ilikethetrumpet Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2006
    Iowa City, Iowa
    One other small thing about lip trills... they're almost like subdivision etudes. One way you hear the clarity in Mendez is that they are absolutely, ruthlessly in time.

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Two great examples among the many he recorded:

The trill from C to D at the end of the "Bell Song" from Lakmé

The trills in the "Minuet in G Major" by Mozart

Absolutely fabulous.

ML