Lip trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cobragamer, Nov 30, 2009.

1. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    How would some one work on being able to do a lip trill like in the hummel trumpet concerto.

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    maybe I have a different version but I dont recall a lip trill anywhere in the Hummel. :think:

3. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Can't speak for whether there's a lip trill in the Hummel, but for doing lip trills in general - Colins Lip Flexibilities. Read the instructions carefully, take it slowly, and build it up. My lip trills are coming on quite well now as a result.

4. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I also don't know of any lip trill in the Hummel.

In any case, liptrills go like this:

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeaaaaeeeeaaaeeeaaeeaeaeaeaeaeaeaea. Repeat until you get it, then move to other notes.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

No need to ridiculise the OP. Everyone has to learn at one point about stylistic requirements for piece X. For classical pieces such as Haydn and Hummel is common to think that a lip trill is bad taste. I am not sure whether how it is done on keyed trumpet but yes, it is not recommended to do it anyway. As for working to get a lip trill, there is Arban, Schlossberg, Colin and many others. Whistling it may help to figure out what to do with the tongue while lip trilling.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Do lip trills using the 7 valve combinations:
    Start as low as you can, go as high as you can, and come back down in one breath. Chances are, if you can't do lip slurs very well, this exercise will kick your butt but, you'll be stronger if you hang in there.
    Here's the combination:
    Open

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick, I was actually serious. Liptrills are no more than taaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeaaaaeeeeaaaee........ You only, like with everything else trumpet, need to practice. Colin is a great book, but will not "teach" you anything. You nead to learn how and that is by doing. Taaaeee real slow at the beginning and then get faster as your chops cooperate.

With the keyed trumpet you have to lip trill like with the natural trumpet for many notes. On a modern trumpet in Bb or Eb all the trills can be played with the valves although the G-A trill on top of the staff only works when your air is moving.

9. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Arbans page 43 #20. Clear, smooth, easy, then gradually build up speed.

10. cmel

cmel New Friend

Nov 8, 2009
    carlsbad, ca
    yep i've found that pages 42 - 45 are all very good for lip trills and flexibility. for all of these it is very important to stay perfectly in time because keeping them in time is what really builds the control, so use a metronome. you dont need to do threm at the written speeds at first, but stay within reason. i also found that having a very strong #16-18 pg 42 really helps and dont move on until you've got those really solid then the others are soooo much easier. oh and do the suggested fingerings even though it may seem a bit dumb. hope this helps.