lip trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kiddo, May 22, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA

Good point Crazyandy! (Omit requisite joke about "CrazyAndy's Used trumpet and cornet store" :-P)

Your point about the tongue's role in whistling is exactly correct, for good reason: The tongue's position in the mouth sets the resonant frequency of the oral cavity, which determines the whistled note, AND determines the frequency that the lips vibrate, thus choosing the resonant frequency (which note) is selected for a given valve combination.

For low notes, you have to open the oral cavity sufficiently to select the lowest harmonics of the horn. For the highest notes, you have to shink that oral cavity down so that its resonance selects the higher harmonics of the horn. Physically, that's what happens when we play. It SHOULD be as automatic as whistling, of course!

Hope that helps!

Guy

2. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    For people who are trying to learn lip trills, is there a certain register in which it is easier to learn to trill? For example, is C in the staff up to E in the staff a good place to start? I've heard that it's much easier to execute a lip trill an octave (or more) up from there, but that's not an option for me.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Ric!

Yes, I think that middle of the staff open C-E and the harmonics going down are a good place to start. They aren't too high and they're only a third apart. Sometimes, when I'm really practiced and lips are really flexible I can "trill" all the way down to between low F# and C# (sounds really funky, almost like a trumpet chord!).

Get fairly adept at the C E series, and work your way up to the E G and the G Bb series and the Bb C series when you're getting strong, but don't force it. Let it happen as you improve gradually!

Guy

1&3 G/A trills are pretty common in the kinds of music I play on C trumpet.

4. Bugler

Bugler Banned

5. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA