Lip Trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lemonzown, Jan 3, 2012.

1. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Hey all; so my teacher assigned me to work on lip trills, mostly out of the Arban's book (dont know what pages they are on on the top of my head) but i noticed while i am doing them, mostly half way through the exersizes, the back of my throat is tensing up. To me, it doesnt sound like my sound is affected at all, but i dont want to get in the habit of tensing up the back of my throat when playing. any suggestions? i've tried slowing down the exersizes; long, full breathes, etc but when i get back up to speed it still tenses up a bit. I'm not over worried about this; it's just something that i am thinking in the back of my head when i am practicing these exercises.

Thanks everyone!

2. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    How are you performing the trill? Do you think you are using a tongue movement to achieve the trill, or conciously adjusting your lips?

Regardless of the above, search on here for "Circle Of Breath" and make sure you are breathing in this way and not introducing tension; I suspect that part of the problem is you are concentrating on achieving the trill and therefore subconsciously introducing tension.

3. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    i think i'm using a mixture of both but maybe a little more tounge is involved.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    take a glass of tap water into the practice session - feel tense? take a sip.

5. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Are you able to describe what part of your tongue you think you're using to perform the trill?

Regardless, ask your teacher about it when you see him or her next.

6. lemonzown

lemonzown New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    i'll be seeing him this Saturday so i'll ask him. but i think mostly the middle and back of my toungue, around the edges of those parts too

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't follow -- am I taking this too seriously, or am I missing something?

8. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I think he means when you tense up your throat closes, so taking a sip of water will open the tubes again... so to speak.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just try it, you'll like it - seriously. If you notice upper throat/tongue tension while practicing, it is magic.

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Alright, will do!