Lip Trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Feb 18, 2016.

1. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    I'm always impressed by trumpeters that can do "speed of light" lip trills. A reference might be Arban's pg. 43 exercise 20-21-25. Can all advanced trumpeters play those exercises at "the speed of light"? I'd like to impress myself one day. What's the path, technique, trick, etc., to making that a reality?

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Like the beatnik used to say, "Practice, man. Practice."

We talkin bout... pratiss (Allen Iverson)

Start slow and gradually increase speed

3. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I never could do these and wondered how and why. Then I happened to try a Wick no letter in a really open cornet with a little tongue arch and suddenly I could do them at will. It was then I realized that it wasn't a lip trill, it was a tongue arch trill. Duh.

4. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    Did you mean practice instead of "pratiss". I'll look into "Allen Inversion" but perhaps you'll tell us a little about your recommendation? ...thanks

5. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    Sounds like you can do what I referred to as lightening fast lip slurs. Can you share more about your technique? Do you shake the horn when you do them? Do you breath a particular way? Do you move your lips a special way? Does your tongue play a special roll in achieving this? Is your embrasure just that flexible? What are these parts doing while practicing, practicing, practicing?

6. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    What is it about the Wick that made the difference?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tah-ee-ah-ee-ah-ee-ah-ee-ah-ee-ah-ee-ah. Requires that you have effortless command of the notes needing to be trilled AND that you are using little pressure on the lips.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The Iverson reference was a TIC reference to the NBA basketball player who couldn't understand the uproar because he missed a practice. After all, it wasn't a game....

The Beatnik was the guy on the street when a lost tourist walks up and says, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

Rowuk (as usual) gave you a substantive answer that gets to the mechanics of the thing

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Time for one of the more esoteric Vulgano Brother observations. When we play a note, the air column inside the instrument has defined and mathematically predictable areas of high pressure and no pressure. In physics these are known as nodes and anti-nodes. The higher the tone, the more of these nodes instide the instrument. With a horn of sufficient light weight, we can play a long tone we can gently run a finger around the leadpipe and/or bell and feel some of the vibrations. Change to a different harmonic and that place will move.

Now for the esoteric part. Playing a long tone, we can shift our awareness to inside the trumpet, and imagine/feel a point of resistance somewhere inside the horn. I call these "magic bubbles." To slur up, we can "blow" this magic bubble further away, backing off will allow the magic bubble to return to its place closer to the mouthpiece.

Our body will memorize the feel of these notes and nodes much more quiclky than the cognitive control of several variables can. Remember that the embouchure is (or should be, in the Zen Vulgano philosophy)formed in part by the note that it is playing.

Experiment a bit, and have fun!

gmonady likes this.
  10. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks to everyone. I'll let you know when your instructions yield the result strived for. That's quite optimistic of me.