Lip Trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmanic, Feb 18, 2016.

1. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    In addition to Rowuk's comment (which is, I agree, the best way to play lip trills), aim for the note in between, and don't slot the harmonics.
    Example: lip trill between a top of the staff G and the B-Flat above it - aim for the A (play it open).

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  2. crowmanic

crowmanic Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2015
    Good suggestion. I'll work with that in mind..........thanks.

3. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    For whatever reason, once I got the basic technique of this down I found it really helped in building greater speed to think in triplets. Still don't want to mislead anyone that this is a magic shortcut though, it was still a deliberate build from half notes, to quarters, to eighths, etc etc. The tongue is the key though imo, if you use pressure to change notes you can never get speed with it.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I took a few measurements of oral cavity pressure playing lip trills last year. They were steady and lay between the measured pressures for the two partials played separately, weighted a little towards that for the upper partial, which is fully in agreement with Dan's observation (i.e. aim a tad below what you normally would to sound the upper partial).

The physics also suggests you should aim a tad louder than you want to sound. This supplies the extra 'juice' need to fuel the upper partial going one way, and to change the partial (which occurs a little above the lower partial resonance pitch) going the other. So there's a sweet-spot where both partials take an identical degree of effort and you can just 'wobble' evenly between the two with neither trying to take priority.

5. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I've found that to be true. I think it helps keep the 2 notes even and makes it an overall cleaner sound.

6. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    That's a most articulate description, and how do you get the speed that makes it sound like a blur?

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    At the risk of repeating my elders and betters for the million-and-oneth time; start slow and practise for the rest of your life.

EDIT Post script: I'm working on some of Vizutti's finger dexterity exercises at the moment. In some of the more awkward keys I'm still struggling at 48 bpm. Will I reach my target 160 bpm? Possibly not. Will that stop me trying? No.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Crowmanic, are you talking about lip trills, or shakes when you speak of "blur?"

9. crowmanic

Nov 9, 2015
    When I've heard others do what I'm talking about is more of a lip trill than a shake. Although it would be nice to hear how you do a shake.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For a shake I use increasing and decreasing mouthpiece pressure using the right hand little finger and "aiming" for the "tipping point" between partials.