Lip vibrator ?¿

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ecocat, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Sparks

Sparks New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Oh god...a lip vibrator what has the world come to! Seriously...I can't see that helping the chops at all. Fine motor movements and airflow. developing a bunch of muscle isn't gonna play the instrument for ya. It doesn't build the mental aspects of playing or using the ear for pitch and staying in tune. I don't think a lip vibrator would do anything to develop embochure, it's just vibrating muscles randomly around, if anything it might seriously mess someone who has a fine embochure.

2. ecocat

ecocat New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    Hello,

Who says that this is a sustitute and no a complement?

Who says that I will do this ?

Who says that I only think to use the vibrator?

Who are serious?

I read this in "Manual Sistema Pivote" DR. DONALD S. REINHARDT

Thanks all !

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  4. ecocat

ecocat New Friend

Jul 21, 2009

No i don't know. Thanks

I think in a electric toothbrush without brush :roll:

have you tried it ?¿
    bye!

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    As rowuk already pointed out, the sample articles were more about attempts to prevetent muscle atrophy in spinal cord victims. Also, I agree that embouchure development is not all about muscle-building, but instead is more about muscle toning and muscle memory.

FWIW, there have been some efforts that looked at vibrators to enhance muscle building exercises (for example, Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 Mar;39(3):526-33), but these efforts showed no advantage when using vibrators.

But getting back to Eco's question, I suppose (in theory) that a vibrator could be used as part of a warm-up or warm-down before/after playing. And I suppose there are some people using the vibrass or something like it. But I don't know if it gives you any advantage over a traditional warm-up/warm-down.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I say that it is not a substitute and not a complement. The muscles in use for playing trumpet benefit most from low impact playing. That builds the nerve and acoustical connections to aid our playing. Those connections allow us to play musically and efficiently. All of the other chop builders do not help us play one note more accurately, better in tune or with a better sound.

I don't care if anybody tries this.

I don't care if someone only does this.

I am only serious some of the time.

My copy of the pivot system does NOT talk about vibrators, it does talk about vibrato though - not electrically powered.

If you have a need for a vibrator, you should not use playing the trumpet as an excuse to justify it.

No warm up or down needs one of those things either. Getting the air, brains and ears moving is the primary reason why some should warm up. Others can jump right in without any of that stuff.

Immobilized legs need help just to keep the circulation going.

I worked with a tuba player after a stroke. Buzzing on the mouthpiece got his face moving pretty quickly. He could play the tuba after 2 months and speak clearly after 3.

My stand is to throw EVERYTHING that wastes time in the trash. We need to free ourselves of myths, punishment and stupidity to use the precious little time that we have to accomplish the most. Every beautiful note that comes out of our instruments leads to the next one and increases our chances of bigger percentages of that type of playing. THAT is where we need to spend our time

You guys are lucky that this site is family safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. ecocat

ecocat New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    pivot system says different advises of his instructors:

17. You must use an electric vibrator to train the lip. (A tragic waste of time)

thanks!