Lips after playing Loudly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Nov 30, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "Cyberchondria"! This word has been added to my lexicon. I too enjoy that special feeling after playing. I don't think you have anything to cause you concern. As far as hydration goes, if you're thirsty, then drink. Being a landscaper, I am familiar with dehydration. If you feel lightheaded or weak, it's electrolytes (think/drink sports drink). "G" man is correct about dehydration. The fact that companies sell water and people are willing to pay for it (my dad howls with laughter), fuels a lot if not most of the "concern" regarding hydration "therapy" :)roll::roll::roll:ROFL)!

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey R2 TL8,

Your Dad can howl all he wants .... I'm not drinking the tap water around here.:thumbdown:

When you can easily taste the difference between the tap (yuck) and bottled water (ahhh) from under Shasta mountain, you don't mind paying for it. You can trust the engineers around your area to filter out all the poisons, heavy metals and whatnot, if you want. I'd prefer to trust the mountain.

And IMO, dehydration is rampant. It's not a cyberchondriac concern ... it's a basic health necessity. 100 years ago everyone drank water, but now there's all kinds of crap to compete with it, none of them hydrating .... coffee, beer, sodas. As a landscaper, R2, you probably drink plenty of water, and I did when I worked on a painting crew. But now ..... I have to work at it.

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Shasta Mt. water sounds good. Our tap is okay. Most bottled water sold around here is purified, not spring. I can tell the difference between spring and tap and prefer spring. If I had back all the money from buying purified water over the years (bought not at my insistence @ 3.99-4.99 for a case of 24), I could easily buy ANY horn I want, even one of those diamond studded German horns! ROFL

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hahaha ..... We get it in 5 gal bottles that are refillable and a guy in a truck delivers it. It's not that expensive ... If we haven't gone through most of the bottles before the guy shows up again, we're slacking.:cool: (good way to monitor it).

Turtle

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Couple of things.

To the original point about feeling hot, rubbery, etc after playing loud, I'll side with Rowuk and say that it's likely your body getting used to playing a certain way. The more you do it, the less you'll notice it.

Regarding the point that marching band "hindered my improvement greatly", I call BS. The only way it would hinder anything would be if YOU were doing it wrong. I know of pro's like Al Chez who can credit strong marching programs for the development of their chops...it's all about how you embrace and approach the activity.

As a music ed major you will GREATLY increase your marketability and job prospects if you learn to embrace and appreciate the BENEFITS that a good marching program can offer. Many schools have or want marching band programs to support their athletic teams, so they'll want someone with practical experience who will maintain or develop one.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Another VERY GOOD POINT. I love the feeling of poofy lips after I play. To me it says I had a great workout with no harm done. Kind of like getting a "runner's high".

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Amen on the marching band experience for music educators, ESPECIALLY for high school. In my local area, you are almost certainly in the single digit probability percentile for a getting a high school band director job without significant marching band experience (can also argue that drum corps experience is darn near a requirement to be truly competitive, as well). Typically, music educators around here who have holes in their academic or performance resume (e.g. lacking significant marching band experience, no ongoing pro/gigging background, etc.) usually land in the middle schools.

As for the mouthpiece moving and lip damage, that's most often due to marching technique and body control. I would recommend seeing if you can get some remedial time with your M&M instructor.

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I will admit, I've had more issues this year with marching band than any other, because I had to learn another marching style, and I was better at the other one. That definitely contributed to my opinionated statement. But you're absolutely correct -- marching is a very important part of many schools' musical curriculum.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only time the horn doesn't bounce is when the field is really wet. Then it just sticks in the ground.

As far as the chops on the field goes, some have the gift of natural coordination, others have to work really hard at it. I was the latter.

10. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY