Lips and Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lostre, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Plithos

Plithos Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2007
    Greece
    i started learning the trumpet when i was 11...and at the point that i was getting really good with the instrument, i put braces (if that's what you mean).. and that killed me...

those little edges that are used to stretch small tension rubbers were going inside my lips all the time... all the time bleeding and in pain...

people say that you can play with braces, try it... i dont want to discourage you at any point, just to share my experience...

probably, now with a little better technique i would avoid being hurt all the time, but...

now, as far as lips shape.. this never happens.. your lips are soft and elastic tissues.. the only problem can come from really bad technique or bad and hard playing, without warm-ups and routine processes... the SATCHMO syndrom... burned-out lips, if you like.. but not mis-shaped...

anyway, if you like the trumpet go ahead and don't think anything else, except your heart... everything else is mostly compromises, and most of them are temporary, you see?