Lips are burning. Now cracked and dry.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Practice, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Practice

Practice New Friend

Aug 7, 2010
    Texas
    A few days ago my lips were burning whenever i licked them and i was performing at my school's football game. I used ice in hopes to make it better but it only worked for a while.
    Now my lips are dry and cracked abit and hurt whenever i open my mouth wide and when i play on my trumpet it sounds all stuffy and airy.
    I have searched on google for any remedies saw that chapstick would work but i don't have any and my parents don't ahve to go to the store to get me some.
    ANybody know any home remedies to make it better?

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Vaseline could be a short-term remedy until you get some Chap Stick.

If you're really in pain just tell them about it. You can get Chap Stick almost anywhere...

3. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Medicated Lip Balm - Burt's Bees

Best lip balm I've used for preventing or healing chapped lips.

Cold temperatures and wind aren't the only elements your lips must overcome. Drink enough fluids to stay hydrated during the drier winter months.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with gdbeamer. Use some vaseline. It's not as convenient as some of the other lip balms out there. But it's just as good at treating chapped lips.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you looking for something you might already have at home? Vaseline or A&D ointment might help, but neither one of them has been great for me. My favorite chops remedy for dry, cracked or chapped lips, by far (and I've used a lot of things over the years) is regular Blistex in a tube. I prefer this over ChopSaver, Carmex, Chapstick, etc.

Note: I've never used Burt's Bees - while it might be better than Blistex, it can't be much better, and it's waxy - Blistex is not. Blistex does have to be reapplied fairly regularly, but I once had some seriously chapped lips and in less than two days my lips were back to normal, but I was applying every time they even began to feel dry.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I was gonna say, Blistex. Available at any 24-hour drug store, no problem to get.

And you have to MAKE YOURSELF STOP LICKING YOUR LIPS which is hard but worth it.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Shouldn't be too tough if he uses Blistex - it's not exactly the tastiest of lip balms and ointments after all.

8. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    Whatever works best for you. I would just recommend against anything with alcohol in it, as that will dry out your lips.

I like DCT if I can find it (we called it "Drum Corps Treatment when I marched because it seemed like everyone in DCI had some in their case) because I can still play when I've got it on. Others make the horn too "slick" on my chops.

Blistex has worked for me too, though.

Scatmanblues

9. NanoBear

NanoBear New Friend

Apr 15, 2009
    Perth, Western Australia
    I use ChopSaver myself. Tried Carmex, but it doesn't seem to agree with my lips. Pretty sure I've seen some ChopSaver adds appear on this site somewhere.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your body has various mechanisms to protect itself. The lips drying out means that your body was probably producing histamins to combat something. The only solution that I know short of chemicals, is to hydrate BEFORE.

If you are going to use lip balm of any sort, practice with it first. It is a new experience - something like driving a car on ice for the first time.