Lips + Horn Movement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Interesting thought, a routine outside. Practicing what you need to practice makes sense, sadly it never struck me to practice movements :oops:
    Yes, since a post a while back on a thread of mine about projection I've realized about the resonance versus loud issue. I think I've been improving on that, I'll continue to work in that direction.

I have mixed feelings about marching and pep bands, but they're paying me for this, so I've gotta do what I've gotta do. Can't hurt to learn to manage movement with efficient playing technique.
    I believe I have been keeping my horn straight to my face, but I'll be sure to focus in on that.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I agree with rowuk about the volume most players in marching bands think they have to use.Think of using a full projecting sound,not loud blasting one.Usually exessive volume is accompained by exessive pressure. You will actually sound louder with a centered projectung tone than you will over blowing and blasting, which causes the tone to spread.

Take all that you've learned about playing correctly,and take it with you to pep and marching band. Too many players forget evrything they have learned once they leave the concert hall and hit the gym or field.

3. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I do whatever I can to follow this. In high school, I had developed poor habits while marching because I didn't keep this in mind, but it's definitely a good thing to remember and say "Hey, stop being stupid!" every once in a while!

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY

Mark, you said all there is to say with "Hey stop being stupid!"

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds to me like you're loosing your pep!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I love the games, don't get me wrong! Moving and playing gets to me sometimes though. I'll cheer regardless =)

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Mark,

I know you dont like pressure, but at the next pep band rehearsal or game you have. Try a little bit more pressure and see how the horn is. Hey, just try that in your dorm room. I would rather have pressure then my horn sliding on my lips.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    The important thing is to look cool, for those motions anyway. It is probably during a tutti section anyway, so no one will be able to pick your sound out of the crowd anyway.