listen to this fifth grader

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rwguyker, Nov 5, 2009.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I just found this: her own site.
    Melissa Venema

apparently she allready is in the fourth year of conservatory, has had tours, and lots of solo performances.

2. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Dang she is good. But what is with the horn going off to the side? One more thing, to get a sound like hers, do you have to do anything special with your stomach/embouchure to get that vibrato or does it come naturally?

3. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I think I just answered my own question, I watched some of the greats and I see them using their arms to make the vibrato. Like they move their right hand/arm back and forth while they play. I heard some people use their embouchure to do it. Which one is the better way?

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Whichever works better for the player where they have more control and musicality.

5. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    "Better" is a completely subjective term - one year when Ronald Romm came to the university here for a four-day trumpet workshop, he gave an excellent concert that featured both types of vibrato (although he favored the hand vibrato much more in flashier pieces like La Virgen de la Macarena). There is no real correct answer, I suppose - each type has their strengths and weaknesses. I personally use jaw vibrato (but coming from a 12th grade trumpet player, that doesn't mean much). But most people I talk to recommend the jaw vibrato.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    When I started 55 years ago, I was taught the hand vibrato as I assume most were at that time. When I started taking lessons a few months ago as part of my comeback, my teacher said that the hand vibrato is old-school and that everyone now uses the jaw vibrato. So, I switched. But, for me, the hand vibrato still sounds better - a more uniform variation.

7. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Forgot that part - a lot of people do regard the hand vibrato as "old fashioned" now. I think I prefer the jaw vibrato just because it feels like I have more control over it and it feels closer to being "integrated" with the sound rather than being tacked on with the hand later, but now that I think about it I'm not really sure...

8. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Astounding. What a sound. What musicality. What pitch. I think I'll go back to digging ditches.

9. oohhh yeah

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I know Doc Severinsen sounds great with the hand vibrato, but I'm not sure which vibrato Maynard uses. Can someone shed some light on this?

10. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Well, it does make it easier to see the music when practicing.;-) All kidding aside . . . she's amazing.