listening & album recommendations

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Youri le god, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    Hi all,

Recently i've been working hard on my jazz. I've always got away largely using my ear and it's made me pretty lazy. I've always read that you should listen to as much jazz as possible but never really commited myself to it. Anyway, this past 2 weeks i've made sure at every opportunity I can, I listen to some jazz. In the car, on the loo, while doing dishes etc etc....as much as possible (apart from listening to the new Brad paisley album, what can I say, I love country!!!).
    I've been working on some new tunes and have been amazed at how much effect this listening has had. On tunes that I have been struggling hearing the changes and coming up with lines for, I now find that I'm hearing the possibilities.
    I'm now beginning to wear out my cds I'm listenning so much. I've noticed though that I don't have any modern (post 1970) trumpet cds. I've got loads of Miles, KD, Freddie, Diz, Clifford, Fats, all the usual suspects. Can anyone recomend some good modern jazz trumpet albums?
    Chrz
    Youri

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd go for a few of these if you're into some happening post-bop mainstream jazz playing!

Tom Harrell/John McNeil: Look to the Sky (mid 70's and Tom's playing is the best straight ahead playing I've heard past Freddie on this album... John McNeil sounds great too!)

John Swana: On Target (one of my top 10 discs, this album's amazing!)

John Swana: Tug Of War (heck buy EVERYTHING he's on!)

Joe Magnarelli/John Swana: NY/Philly Junction (get both discs, their excellent)

Nicholas Payton: Dear Louis, Gumbo Nouveau, From this Moment

I really Like Wynton's Black Codes from the Underground (from the 80's)
    ...it's my favorite WM disc.

Ryan Kisor: The Usual Suspects, The Dream, Power Source

Greg Gisbert (my favorite trumpeter... he can play everything from GREAT plunger, to KD, to SCREAMING lead... what a TALENT!): Harcology, The Court Jester, and anything with the group Convergence.

As you'll see I'm a huge fan of the Criss Cross label for some great straight ahead jazz trumpet playing. Let me know via PM if you want more "cutting edge" stuff.

Happy listening!

-T

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    miles,full nelson
    freddie hubbard, love connection.
    start with that. ;-)

4. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    That's a great album. My fave late Miles ablum though is Live Evil, there's some nasty grooves on it!!! :twisted:

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Youri,

It doesn't get more modern than Dizzy Gillespie, does it? If you're looking for good stuff from the past thirty years, well, a lot of it is going to sound like stuff from the past. Here are some things I like:

Wynton Marsalis: anything you can get your hands on, although you might particularly enjoy the things he did BEFORE 1989. His debut album "Wynton Marsalis" (1983) is sizzlin' and it's even got Miles' old rhythm section (Hancock, Carter and Williams).

Clark Terry: he keeps putting out records, and they continue to be good!

Miles: his stuff in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s is eclectic to say the least. I like On the Corner (70s), Tutu (80s), Aura (80s) and Doo-Bop (early 90s).

Shamar Allen: This might be one not everybody knows. He plays with the Rebirth Brass Band, a New Orleans party band. This guy can seriously blow. I only have one recording of theirs, from before Shamar was in the band, but I would imagine that the newer cd's would be great. I've heard him a few times live and he's just phenomenal.

-Jimi