Listening!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TangneyK, Nov 18, 2003.

1. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's unfortunate that I can't transmit sarcasm over the internet...

In my humble opinion, I would rather play a nice, tasty, simple solo that a "Dubba C" any day of the week.

(Or listen to someone else play a nice, tasty, simple solo.)

--Kevin

2. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Isn't it possible to be able to play both? Just thought I'd ask. :?

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    It all comes down to the your ideal sound concept. Kevin's ideal sound concept is almost the polar opposite of mine. He's looking for dark, smokey, Chet Baker meets Tom Harrel type sound. I'm looking for the George Graham meets Doc meets Bobby Shew bright commercial sound. I think it's pretty apparent in our playing as well. I'd also rather hear a good solo any day of the week than a double c, however, if you can play a double c in tune and with a centered *not peircing* tone, then there's something to be said for that as well.
    So far, I'm not there yet. My recently acquired "practice" range extends up to d above, but I'd be loath to use it in any performance setting because it sounds shitty. Therefore I'd call my "gig" range or "real" range about a g above high c with a good sound. Maybe an A if I get a wild hair... Anyway, enough of that, I need some practice I think.
    -J

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Also, to let you know, 95 percent of my practice routine has NOTHING to do with building my range... Also, nothing to do with classical s!#t either... which sucks because I'm blowin crap out my bell with all this christmas music... I hate christmas music.
    -J

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Aside from a piccolo trumpet, no manufacturer acclaims their regular Bb trumpet was intended to play a DHC (and higher). I ponder why?

Jarrett, we won't force you to play Christmas music, but there are lots of paying gigs this time of the year where the audience expects to hear it. I could say that letting such be known among your musical peers may be cause to ostracise and shun your performing future ... inclusive of admission to music programs at the collegiate level and beyond.

Personally, it's not a question of like or dislike the music ... I'll play it (if I can???).

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As it should be. I would venture to say that 99% of my playing has no focused goal as to range building. What I do play gradually builds my range, but that is my priority in how I practice. Ackuire technical, musical, theory skills first and if the range follows, than that is just icing on the cake.

7. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    All this angst!

My 'code of conduct' is...

1. Network as much as possible with like-minded people;
    2. Have fun playing my trumpet
    3. Get out there!

There is nothing else for me. I care about getting better but let's face it - at 54 I'm not 'coming back' to a position in a symphony - or anywhere else. I stopped woodshedding in 1976 when I realized that a career in music was not in my future.

Well, FF thirty years forward, and here I am about to go out on my first gig as a trumpet player. My first PAID gig that is. I'm going to park in front of someone's house and play Christmas carols (with BIAB accompaniment from my tablet thru a small PA powered by my car) for 15 minutes, or until they come out, deliver a card, and disappear. I'll make $100.00 and I plan to shamelessly promote myself for such 'playing telegrams' as part time employment to supplement my income as a teacher.

On Friday there is a get-together at the fire hall across the street. I'll be there, playing Christmas music in the parking lot. On Tuesday there is a big tent sale at the mall - selling cars - I'll be there on the outskirts playing Christmas carols. I have a BMW, and next weekend they are having a Christmas promotion with free inspections, food, etc. and I will be there among all the other BMWs playing - you guessed it! Christmas carols.

I live in a small town - dollars to dougnuts I'll make it on the news one day - if not this year then the next when it's not so 'spur of the moment'. In the mean time, I'm making friends, having fun, PLAYING!!! and spreading a little Christmas cheer.

Any ideas of where I should go play next?