little problem...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ASimpersonater, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ASimpersonater

ASimpersonater New Friend

Sep 15, 2008
    Hi everyone, I'm alex, and I have a trumpeting problem.

well, I just started playing, and have found this site really helpful so far, but I still have a question that needs answering.

I started playing a couple of months ago now, and I have a problem with my air. I use the maggio system, which is supposed to be a flawless system, but then again, what isn't supposed to be these days? :roll:

Anyways, the problem is that the air that is going into the instrument is escaping out of the corners of my mouth. This happens when I reach an e in the staff. I think I saw somewhere on here that that is because I am not sealing my lips to the mouthpiece properly.
    The only way I can think of to help with that is to add more pressure to my mouth by pushing with my hands. This doesn't seem like it would feel too good playing this way, but is this the only way to seal my lips to the 'piece?

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    The problem is you haven’t developed the embouchure muscles required to seal the air yet. Keep practicing at a soft volume with as little pressure as you can, and still seal the mouthpiece to your lips. Eventually it will correct itself… you have to remain patient. By the way, do you have a private teacher? If not, that is the first step to correcting this and any other problems you are going to run into down the road.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Be sure and work to make sure you maintain tight corners on your embouchure as you play. This should help to limit any escaping air. Your problem is that your embouchure is still somewhat weak. Keep practicing and yes, get a private teacher.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The ASA Method by Rolf Quinque has some wonderful exercises that, in my opinion, are as good (if not better) than Maggio. You might want to add some of those exercises to your routine.

Have fun!

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you are only playing for a couple of months Maggio or any range method will be too advanced for your level. Concentrate on soft longtones and lipslurs , learn all your scales get the basics down first, you should really get a private teacher before you develop too many bad habits , they are much harder to unlearn later on. Oh yeah lay off the mouthpiece pressure thats one bad habit nobody needs.

6. ASimpersonater

ASimpersonater New Friend

Sep 15, 2008
    I thought that was wrong!
    Thanks guys, I could have made a real mistake.
    I'll try with the scales and long-tones too.

Thanks for the help!