Little Sony MP3 Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I returned my Tascam thing ($200) because frankly, I needed the money to buy a part for the car.

Yesterday, after a decent swap meet, I stopped by Wal-Mart to stock up on stuff, and saw this neato little Sony ICD-PX820 recorder ($60). These are used normally to record meetings, lectures, things like that. I got it to record myself. It'll hold 22 hours even at the highest quality setting, has a USB cable so I can save files on my computer, and the reviews say the sound quality is quite good.

It sounds good enough for me!

Anyone else using these little recorders?

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The one that has extraordinary sound quality is the Olympus LS-10. It's a little more (around $300 I think) and has a pair of really excellent stereo microphones mounted at one end. It records in MP3 as well as much bigger Wave Files.

My dad has one and I took it to Mexico just a few months ago and got an incredible recording of some new friends we met there, a jazz band from Monterey, Mexico. My ex-girlfriend was along and sat in with the band on her violin. I played it for my cousin who has run a recording studio for 20 years and he was amazed. He knew how good the Sony unit is but the acoustics were really quite amazing for a clean recording. The band was set up on the beach, playing out to the ocean. In between songs you can hear the city band practicing in the background (really good trumpet players in there).

I should post up a track of that to show the great sound quality. And, since I didn't have a laptop to dump files into, I had to record in MP3. It would have been even better in Wave File mode.

Amazing little unit.:play:

The Turtle

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Wow that sounds cool. Although, on my budget, this Sony may be just great to start. I'll keep your unit in mind.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Honestly, Alex C, recording in Wave File with this unit is CD quality. Higher end microphone(s) can be added, but the quality of the little mics is very high. Could be very useful to musicians who want to capture live stuff cheaply.

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    It sounds Excellent, something to plan for in the future.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    One thing to keep in mind with the less expensive units which are designed mainly for recording voices at meetings is that they're not designed to record the full spectrum of sounds that musical instruments make. They may reproduce your voice excellently, but whether they record all the overtones which are part of the music remains to be seen. So you need to ask yourself why you want this recorder -- is it to record yourself while you're practicing or to take out to rehearsals and gigs and record all those sounds?

I have the Olympus LS-10 and can second the comments on how excellent this is as a recorder -- it does a great job and has several different ways to control how something is recorded so that you don't get digital clipping (where the sound being recorded overpowers the capabilities of the recorder and you get digital distortion which sounds horrible). The small Sony recorder may clip horribly when you get the volume that you play your trumpet at, only time will tell.

Of course, buying it at Walmart you always have the chance to return it and get your money back if it doesn't work out for you.

Good luck with it.

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Any of them work - in fact, too well. I have an Olympus WS-110 which is a very small pocket recorder. I bought it to record my practice sessions so I can correct things. The problem is that it records so well that I can hear every clam in excruciating detail. I stopped after the first minute because I will need to practice for another year before I even dare listen to myself again.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

The first time we recorded our old garage band, we lost 2 people out of the band overnight. They just couldn't believe we sounded that bad. I thought it was a pretty average nite and the recording sounded pretty normal (we DID get a lot better!). Some people just don't hear what's really there. ROFL

About the little recorder ...... The Olympus is very literal, especially when you have it switched on the higher pickup mode (like I did on the beach, where the levels go way up). I had it on a tripod about 25 feet in front of the band and their PA system, pointed right at them. In between songs, you can hear the waves crashing (about 30 or 40 feet behind the recorder), you can hear the city band practicing in a baseball field that is about a quarter of a mile away, numerous conversations in Spanish, exotic birds twittering .... I mean it gets EVERYTHING.

You have to use external mics to get other sorts of patterns, like just or mostly only what's close to the microphone. All of that stuff in the paragraph above got drowned out when the band started playing.

Turtle

9. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    OK all, great stuff. I just want to hear myself playing "from the outside". Just pure, learning type feedback. So, the sound quality doesn't have to be super and in fact I was considering just getting a thrift-store tape recorder. I really only need AM-radio quality to tell the basic things about my playing, and I know the unit I got can do far better than that.

Aren't these things cool though.

Conversations in Spanish lol, reminds me of when I was a kid, and it would really bug me when people would converse in English on the bus.