Live at the House of tribes

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by dizforprez, Sep 7, 2005.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Does anyone else have this one yet?

Those guys are swinging like mad! It is differently one of Wynton’s best.

Anyone that doesn’t have it should give it a listen. :thumbsup:

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It's a great disc and personally some of the best Wynton on record. Man he's burning on Donna Lee.

I have an entirely new respect for his total command of the bop language on that tune alone.

Buy the disc or at least check it out at www.bluenote.com/marsalis or www.wyntonmarsalis.org

Best,

T

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Great links Trent!

Thanks,

-cw-

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Trent,

What do you think of his album "love supreme" recorded with elvin jones in Japan?

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is that the sound file that was on the JALC Archive page? If so I could comment on that but I'm not sure if that's the same "A Love Supreme". Personally I REALLY (!!!!!!!!) dig Branford's A Love Supreme (on Footsteps of our Fathers... it's a GREAT album!) but of course not as much as Trane's original. I mean, how can you compare anything to that album?

I can dig into comments further if we're talking about the same thing.

Best,

T

6. Jason Palmer

Jason Palmer New Friend

May 24, 2005
    Boston
    Wynton did a quartet date with Elvin and it's a Japanese import. I have it, Trent, and I can email it to you if you give me your email. I haven't heard the house of Tribes, yet. So for now I will definitely have to say that the Love Supreme recording along with some of the vanguard sessions are some of my favorite recorded works from Skain. There's also a boot of Skain with Greg Osby that I've heard and there's some forward thinking stuff on that one as well.

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    yeah it is an import, for those that like his live albums it is a must have.

just on a trumpet level, it is on of the greatest feats of brass playing i have ever heard. I forget how long the first track is, but for anybody to be soloing like that for that long is amazing.

he has also recorded on a few CDs under his "other" name that are worth hearing.