"Live Horns" - Dying !!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RustoleusMaximus, Jun 23, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    What's wrong is we live in an ADD/ADHD culture and we have a generation of kids who are being raised as young as in the toddler stages to be stimulated with iPads/iPhones, etc. with age appropriate learning games that, while good when done along with actual parental involvement (such as reading with and to children), is bad when used as a babysitter (i.e. similar to just sitting a child in front of the TV, computer, etc. and just leaving them), plus the social media/networking era is giving and has given children and parents excuses to devalue physical and social interaction.

gmonady likes this.
  2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    It's really more the economy than anything else, and in TN, guitar, banjo, mandolin and fiddle are going to take precedence every time. If there's no budget left they won't use them. There are some great horn players here, though even they are scrounging for gigs now.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

As a pediatrician... I approve of this message.:thumbsup:

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    To all you comeback players. The work is there if you really want it. Research the area for live music, find out where it is then go there and listen to the bands, introduce yourself, hand out business cards, and BE PREPARED to sit in if asked, if your not asked then politely ask them. The only way your going to get work is to be heard and people will need to like what they hear. Join local volunteer concert bands and marine bands, get your name out there and let everyone know your looking to play. It might start small but stick with it, build your chops and keep networking. I’m a comeback player. I laid it down for 26 years and been back at it for 7. Last year I played over 140 shows while maintaining a full time job. Right now I have one weekend off until mid September, that’s 2 and 3 shows a weekend, and I’m having the time of my life. Of course I worked my tail off to get my chops back, and it wasn’t easy, I thank the dedication the trumpet has taught me in my life. Music is alive and well, you just need to find it and make it happen…….If you want it bad enough, you’ll be playing : ) Now go get em !!

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The other thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post is that when you do get a gig, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. Play the music with feeling, focus and perfection. Smile on stage and dance if that is the kind of gig. Be nice to the other musicians, and to the audience.
    Even if it is a gig that is thrown together, play it like you are playing at Carnegie Hall. Have a good time, but make sure to do the absolute best job you can.

The gig I had last night was a subbing gig for a friend. The band has no charts and no set lists, so I couldn't prepare for the show, but I made sure that when I got there, I was in business mode. I talked to the band before we played to get an idea of what they wanted, and then I listened to the two other horn players and played along with them. Even though I am the lead voice in the section, I had to listen and respond to their playing because they know the music. I didn't play anything flashy because that means that you aren't paying attention to the section, and it becomes obvious to the rest of the band. Even though the rest of the band informed me that it was a 'pretty loose gig,' I took it seriously from when I parked my car.
    They noticed, and have been asked back to play with the band.
    This is how we can keep live horns around.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You know I never even considered turning down opportunities to play in public as part of the problem .... but in all fairness I was on a date with my wife.. next time I will bring the horn ... but only for a couple of tunes or two.. well maybe three ... okay no more than one set
    Concerning $$$$ ...how much do you think a decent mandolin cost? You can't consider it a good mandolin under a $1,000 ..... that is unless you possess the bargain skills of my wife .. I literally have to walk away when she is in the negotiating stage .... man I love that woman.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I play a little mandolin as well. I have a Tacoma mandolin that is great, and was under $1000. It isn't a traditial A or F style, but it has a nice sound.

8. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    I tend to believe that it is the economy as horns are the first to go when "cuts" are made. Additionally, I know of no "horn driven bands" since the late 60's and early 70's such as Tower of Power; Blood, Sweat & Tears; Chicago; Earth, Wind & Fire etc.