Live sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Penstir, Jul 27, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Touching back a bit on the sound shield, I used it in this video doing the Reel Big Fish song "Sell Out" at church. I don't remember what we had going for monitoring, but it wasn't great, (they weren't used to having horns - just the typical electric instruments and voice) and the simpler solution was to just use the sound shield to insure I could hear myself. This was fairly loud on the stage and in the auditorium. For "Sell Out" fast forward to the 20:00 minute mark - the song starts at just about 20:00 on the dot.

Between the Lines - Sell Out 10:15, Recorded on 6/2/13 MosaicChristian on USTREAM. Church

2. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    Usually I play on a 57 and I'm happy with the live sound I get (not mine though, the concert organizers often have it as a standard for winds)

3. Penstir

Penstir New Friend

Jun 10, 2013
    sydney
    thanks again!

@ trickg, yes I will try a piece of plexiglass, looks like that could reflct some of the sound back as the temperatures behind you rise...

@ trmpet MD, the idea for an amp as a mintor, so you can control the quality of sound yourself appeals! Ill look up this amp... and sm 57 ( not my fav but perhaps if it was my own....)

@ gmonady.... reverb! yes! for FOH or in the monitor?

@ Alwilts... yes, I do try my best with sound engineers but as I say, they often think we need no mics, and turn attention to the geeetars ... sigh.... and then there are the brilliant ones too!

thank you all xxxx

4. Penstir

Penstir New Friend

Jun 10, 2013
    sydney
    also thanks trickg, il; have a look,

and

just: sm 57 here I go!

Penny

5. Penstir

Penstir New Friend

Jun 10, 2013
    sydney
    11760310_10153139160723163_4618079158869469372_n.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Penstir

Penstir New Friend

Jun 10, 2013
    sydney
    (picture entitled, "now where is the sound guy? "

:)))

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    As far as what the audience hears you are basically at the mercy of the sound guy. If you can't trust the monitor setup then you might consider gettng a portable clip on/ belt amp that feeds a earbud ... at least you can get an idea how your pitch is.
    If I have a sound guy manning the table I try to keep the trumpet and microphone relationship steady. Unmanned is a can of worms and you wind up relaying on feedback from people in the know who are there.

8. Penstir

Penstir New Friend

Jun 10, 2013
    sydney
    thanks coolerdave.. belt amp is a new one to me...
    I guess thats why i almost like the small set ups... vocal pa and I can hear the FOH!
    Im about to travel with the noisy but indie pop band, so will get a "sound sheild", my own sm57, and charm aplenty for the sound guys!

9. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    Hi Penny,

I deal with sound, or rather bad sound on a several-times-a-week basis.

First thing first: Roger Ingram told me to try to play at a medium volume and to let the guy at the desk worry about out front. This ensures your sound is good and your endurance benefits. Playing relaxed like this seems to aid projection anyway as a quality sound will go further. I digress...

Hearing yourself is a pain. Sound back shield is good. I lost the one I made but more plexi arrived today so I may go make a new one for tonight. I use earplugs, specifically Etymotic ER20 which drop all frequencies 20db but due to their design they retain more treble which makes it easier to play with. Still weird, but given the choice between deaf with a swollen lip or feels weird to play, I will take the latter!

I have been told to try 1 ear plug in by a different player, and I have read that when one ear is blocked the other works harder to compensate. I can't scientifically speak to this, but I will say that when I tried it I felt mega deaf in the ear that had no plug the next day.

You could clip a lapel type mic to the bell and feed it to a headset amp and use in-ears with only your sound coming back. I have never tried this but thought about it on several occasions.

If you don't get what you ask for in your monitor, and you have asked several times, prepare to be ignored.

I like/use an SM58. I have Sennheiser E835's and they are decent, if a little less bright. The 58 has less honk/quack to the sound compared to a 57 IMO. I love the PG81 but it is a condensor and needs phantom power, and while desks these days almost always have that I never assume that they actually do.

I'm currently in the situation where I may buy a monitor and mini mixer and a couple more DI's so I can split the brass and put them into the monitor mix myself. That way I might hear us... shock!

Good luck!
    Mike

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Mike speaks the truth! Other than using the earplugs (well, I tried it once, but didn't really care for it) I've experienced just about everything he mentioned, which was why I decided to go with the sound shield when I was doing Latin band.

I distinctly remember the first time we really used them. (I made one for a friend too) When I was playing in the Latin band, we had a back to back gig thing one night - we did a Quinceanera party earlier in the evening, rolled out and did our normal club date after that. Prior to using the shield, I'd never felt so blown out playing gigs. That night we both played through the gigs without endurance issues because for the first time we weren't overblowing trying to compensate for crappy sound and monitoring. Honestly, I kind of wish I could go back to using it.

Penny, I don't know how handy you are, but for me, making those sound shields ended up being pretty easy. Plexiglas is pretty easy to work with - score it well using a metal ruler and utility knife, and it will break cleanly where it has been scored. I actually cut the hole in the middle with a hole saw that came with a door kit I'd bought when I wanted to add a deadbolt to the front door of my home. As luck would have it, it wound up being the right size for some rubber grommets that I got in the special hardware drawers at my local hardware store. It takes about 10 minutes or so to make one - I cut the Plexiglas in a square, find the center, cut out the center hole, nip the corners at 45 degrees so it doesn't have sharp corners, smooth the rough edges with fine sandpaper, insert the grommet, and it's good to go.

Or, you can save yourself the trouble and buy a Note Bandit - they used to cost a lot more than they do now. At one point they were something like $60, but I think they only cost around $25 now.