Local Legends

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Bear, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ok folxs, we all hear about the MF's, Wynton's, Phil Smith, MANNY LAEURANO'S ( :D , hi Manny) and other great players. But how about tellin' us about your local legends. Maybe the guy who's been sittin' on the corner the past twenty yrs playing an old banjo and puttin' a smile on passerby's faces?

Here in good ol' Lubbock, TX there is a trumpet player by the name of Grady Alberts. He's in his late 40's and is a counselor at a local school. Every Thursday nite he plays with a lil jazz combo (rhythmn section and himself) and just play down charts. Sometimes they'll have fun and make up songs like their version of "The Girl with Emphasyma *cough, cough*" (based on The Girl from Inpanema). Though he's may lack in taste of clothes, he surely makes up from the music comin' from that bell and head of his. His improv ideas are amazing. I can go in there and order dinner, being all fustrated and mad with life, and listen to them play. In less than a minute I'm enjoying myself, thinkin' about how great life is. His technique is amazing and his sound on flugel will melt your heart. A great guy, if anyone ever comes down here, stop by Jazz Restuarant and listen to them on Thursday nite 9 - close.

Thxs for listening. Next?!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There are a lot of guys out here that are local legends, mainly because here in the Baltimore/DC area, thanks to the military bands in the area, there are almost too many good trumpet players to count.

One guy I'd like to mention is a big band lead trumpet player named Scott Stansfield. I mention Scott not because he has super range, or because he has blistering technique, but because of the WAY he plays and the sound he produces. He has this big, fat, Maynardesque sound and he plays big as a house to nearly Double C. He's also got a great personality and he truly puts his heart and sould into his playing. Although we haven't talked a lot since I stopped playing with the Blue Moon Big Band - www.bluemoonbigband.com - I am glad that I can call him a friend.

3. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I'm in Toronto, so we have some local legends that are known more than locally. Stephen Chenette, head of ITG, is at U of T; Arnie Chycoski, lead player extraordinaire, was here for many years (now semi-retired on Vancouver Island), and most of you will know Guido Basso. My 'avatar' thingy is the trumpet section of the Boss Brass (Basso 2nd , Chycoski lead, Eric Traugott playing assistant lead, John McCleod, Dave Woods).

Traugott is now retired, but before moving to Canada to play in the Canadian Broadcasting Company orchestras and then lead with Phil Nimmons' jazz band, he was principal in Baltimore, I think.

John McCleod is truly an underrecognized top-notch player, IMHO, as well as a fabulous composer.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Yeah man, I've been to Toronto on a few jazz tours with the college. Y'all got some good stuff goin' on up there.

5. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    A lot of the local legends in Houston are guys that have done the real deal and are just sort of settlin down, among those include Paul English (piano player for Dizzy as well as several other big names), Dennis Dotson, Bob Odneal, Carol Morgan, Larry Slezak, the list goes on. These guys were my first taste of real jazz and thank them greatly for it, real top notch players.

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    yes, Paul English comes up here to do some stuff with us every now adn then. Carol Morgan was just up here this semster, great player adn hilarious at the after party!! I've heard of Bob but have never met him. They are great players, any interesting stories about them?

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I live in Metro Detroit and the list is just too long....

Johnny Trudell--Motown, Big Band, Jazz, Nationally famous, Check out his GR signature mouthpieces

George (sax) Benson--great sax man

Tommy Saunders--internationally acclaimed dixieland cornetist

Jerry McKensie-- Stan Kenton drummer

Dezi McCullers--Motown trumpet & sax man who ALWAYS draws a crowd.

Marcus Belgrave--Great trumpet man

Joe Messina--Guitar player for Motown one of the original Funk Brothers.

The new "In town guys"

Patrick Hession--MF lead trumpet

Mike Williams--Count Basie lead trumpet

The list here goes on & on

-cw-

8. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunately no stories from me, I used take lessons from Carol, and Paul English was the jazz studies prof at my school. The funniest thing about Paul is that when he would perform at jazz clubs he would throw out the most random thing that no one would know about him, example: one time at a show, he's about to play his next chart and starts speaking to the audience, "this next chart was written from a very close friend of mine, Dave Brubeck," and continued to play Blue Rondo, he used that kind of stuff all the time, really interesting guy and hell of a musician.

9. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    My jazz band teacher last year (who consequently got me into jazz) played with Gerry Mulligan's band in the 80's. He's a wonderful guy, and I'm thankful I had him as a teacher. He started a publishing company last year, http://www.smartchartmusic.com . We played a lot of his arrangements this year. I'd advise all you teachers out there to check it out. :)

10. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Alright, I've been mulling this thread over for the past week, and you know what, there are a LOT of good trumpet players in my little neck of the woods. (Rochester, and SE Minnesota)

I feel honored to know and to be able to play with the likes of, John Dahlen, Greg Zent, Richard Zeller, Mark Manges, Micah Johnson, Chris Jankowski, Troy Thompson, Les Fields, and Gene Eiden. This is just a small sample of wonderful trumpet players that I get to play with frequently. These gentlemen inspire me by their hard work and love of music. And they keep me striving to improve my playing, so that I don't ever disappoint them at a gig.

To all these men, I say thank you for keeping music fun and exciting here in Rochester, and southeast Minnesota. It's always a joy to make music with them.

Warren