local repair shop gouging on repair costs. owner's mental health in question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by saxophonist56, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    To be fair though, $5 to make sure the alignment was right is nothing...actually, kind of cheap. But if you're a regular customer (who buys lots of goodies: mouthpieces, oil, books, etc.), there's something to be said about trying to "keep" you as a customer.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow!!! I felt your pain, Man!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously, my tech charged me 0.25/felt for a total of $1.00. [Math works out... it was for my Kanstul 4-valve flugelhorn.]

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like a safe, No fret deal to me!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But I charge the Lawyer $750/hour as a legal consultant... In the end, the doctor ALWAYS wins. I know you felt that coming... I am a triple fret kind of guy. AND I can guarantee a win... Haven't lost a case in over 20 years with me as an expert consultant.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO as new as your Kanstul is, it should still be under warranty. On second thought, I'd lay odds these are the outside felts as have compressed by your High Energy Jazz slammin' the valve keys.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No offense to Kanstul, but the factory provided felts are a bad design... They ride up on the valve shaft and rarely sit into the valve casing. I got tired of continually trying to lock them in place (they never did) so I took them to my tech and Hauer music, and he gave me the black Getzen felts on. Looks so much classier against the brass buttons. Charles, if you are reading this, do make the change as it makes a classy horn, classier.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I am not a luthier, but I've successfully repaired a few violins, a few guitars and one mandolin. Refitting new frets to an existing fret board isn't as simple as it may sound. You've first got to get the old frets removed without destruction of the fret grooves. I remove the entire fret board from the neck to do this. It's to dangerous to have the whole instrument exposed to the local wiggles and strains. Geez, the guitar is very vintage with a genuine ebony wood fret board! Yeah, and after the player has changed 1,000 strings what condition would you expect the "nut" to be in. Too, it is genuine ivory. Still, there is the consultation with the player as to weather he strums or picks or both and as to how high he wants the frets and what metal he wants the new frets to be. Unfortunately, I wasn't paid anything for my labor as I once owned that guitar, but with a new square hard case, I sold it for $3,500.00. I never saw a brand or number on it. You just wouldn't believe the grime I removed from it. What would I have valued my labor had I ben doing the same to someone else's? All I can say is much more than $200.00 as the case alone cost me more than that.

]

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I believe I could produce a decent playing electric guitar from available parts and a true 2" x 4" piece of select wood. Your name and fancy Flourishes laser carved in the backside costs extra.

10. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Remind me not to hire you, Gary; unless, of course, you supply the Bombay Sapphire, steaks, and valve oil....