'Locking in' notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Mar 4, 2011.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, as i am progressing as a player my range in gradually increasing and becoming a lot more consistent. However i am having problems locking in G above high C, how is a trumpet supposed to respond up there? as in, you know by feel where a second line G is, we all do and most of the notes around the horn. The range im talking about (F above high C up) is fairly new to me, whether im still learning the feeling i dont know. Any thoughts??:-)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Around Eb above the staff, the trumpet works more like a megaphone than a noble sounding musical instrument.

When it works it makes us feel like a minor god.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Once you actually own those notes they will lock in. Practice these notes very soft,in slurred and tongued arpeggios and scales.Melodies also played up to the F and G also at pp volume,all with very little or almost no pressure

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Practice, and then when you play, hear the note, as you should do anyway, but really focus on the pitch that you want, it should happen.

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Everything new takes a minute. I never really had a good G until last year, and now it seems to lock nicely. Seems more an air/relaxed chop set to me that gets it.

6. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Being able to hear the note first becomes increasingly more necessary as you progress above high C and beyond. In essence you could press down any valve up there and any note will come out. You can use that to your advantage if certain notes are out of tune or don't "lock in" quite right. Unless you have command of this range first and able to hear how the note should sound it all becomes a crap shoot on which note will come out.
    As with anything, the more you do it and the more conditioned you are , the easier it becomes.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The good new is, as you get into this range, with confidence, relaxation and hearing the note, it gets easier to "lock in". The bad news is, that as you get into this range, the notes become "closer together", not by pitch, but by the tension it takes to hit the pitch. So even after "locking in" accuracy becomes an issue. When it comes to accuracy, the ability to hit notes consistently is dependent on the muscle tone you are working with at that time.

The bottom line is there is always at least a little apprehension in hitting high notes above the Eb range (even for the best of us) as noted by a previous post. Practicing routinely but comfortably in this range and gaining confidence is the only additional advice I can give beyond the excellent advice by the TM posts that have already been provided.