Locking in

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Oct 23, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I thought I would toss a couple of comments out based on my experience at the gig last night, and something I have experienced many times before on Latin Band gigs.

Does anyone here have any issues "locking in"? Last night we kicked off the first set, and although I wasn't really having any real range or endurance problems, I was just sort of all over the place; sometimes I would miss high by one partial, sometimes I would miss low by one partial. It took about a third of the first set before I started to lock in, but once I finally did, my accuracy, range and endurance were all where they needed to be.

This used to happen to me on Latin Band gigs more often than doing rock band, probably because the Latin Band gigs were a little more demanding in terms of range and endurance.

There are a couple of other comments I would like to add about this regarding yesterday's experience.

1.) I warmed up and played earlier in the day - usually this is my best course of action to not show up with tight chops, and gets me set to hit the ground running when the gig kicks off.

2.) I made an adjustment at one point during the first set to my in-ears mix - I didn't feel like I was getting quite enough trumpet in my personal monitor mix, so I walked over to the board and CRANKED it! :lol: I wonder if being able to hear what I was doing a bit better with a bit more volume caused me to not blow so hard, not to mention that once you can hear yourself better, accuracy generally improves.

It would be nice if I could be locked in from the word "go" but it doesn't always happen that way.

Comments anyone?

2. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    I have problems "locking in" every once in a while. It seems to be about once a week, during marching band practice. I think it has to do with the way we warm up, all we do is long tones usually, so I don't get a good stretch for my chops in. If thats all I do, and then I go straight to the field, I'm all over the place, usually over shooting, then over compensating resulting in an under-shoot. A few scales and a chorale or two usually fixes this thing up for me, but thats not always an option in our "don't play unless the band plays" setting.

I find it's just a lack of concentration. Not warming up right definatly hurts from a physical aspect, but it also gets me in the mood to play correctly. Even if you warm up correctly, excitment, anticipation, or other ADHD thoughts will keep you from getting your head in the horn. Every once in a while this kind of thing just takes a half hour or so to go away for me, which sucks.

I also know some days I find my chops in better shape than they usually are, causing me to overshoot until I get a good feel for the day.

This probably doesn't answer your question at all... ummmmm...... :-? ..... opps! :roll:

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi Patrick,

I have that problem when I cannot hear in my mind the tone I want to hit.
    Like it has been said if you can sing it you can play it.
    I have a real problem with a Billy May chart of "The Tender Trap"
    I REALLY have to concentrate to play the hits. Not particularly high, I just can't hear them in my mind.

-cw-

4. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Patrick

Great post! :-) Sometimes I have problems locking in. For me its usually never a technical thing but rather a mind set. If the crowd is terrible or not as responsive as I'd like, then I have a bit of a problem. I always come warmed up etc, and only once in a blue moon is it lip related where my chops are having an off day.

Last night I played my gig to the greatest crowd ever and was flying so high because it was one of the most enjoyable gigs I have ever played!

I love playing the trumpet professionally and still cant believe I make a living doing something I LOVE so much. I LOVE THE TRUMPET! :D I guess you can tell I'm still flying from last nights gig. I got to try out some new solo techniques and it was so cool!

I always go to a gig with a positive mind set and know how very lucky I am to be making a living at doing something I LOVE to do. Thank GOD the days of working for some schmuck 40 hours a week, and making one quarter of what I make now are over! :cool:

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    One other thing I forgot to mention was this:

First tune of the night was a brand new ballad that we sight read and I played on flugelhorn.

Rocco, no offense, but I'm not really looking at this as a problem that I want to solve - it's just something that happens from time to time and I was curious to see if it happens for anyone else. Besides, I'm a little past high school marching band. ;-)

The cool thing is that once I lock in, I usually wind up having a great night behind the horn, and last night was no exception.

6. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    No offense taken. I was simply saying I go through that a bit myself, and it's usually during marching band because I have no time to warm up properly. I thought I was completely on topic as I was describing my typical experience with "not locking in."

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Heck, when I was in high school, I was lucky if my chops were working at all! I didn't start to develop any real consistency until I was playing every day as an Army Bandsman.

8. RoccoNut16v

RoccoNut16v New Friend

Oct 11, 2005
    Texas
    You played in the Army Band? You'll have to tell me about that some time. AIM (blacksabathnut) me or something, I've looked at that a couple times as a possible career.

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Me too but the dang forces won't take me for weight/health reasons... but I'm one hell of a shot with scope or iron sights.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well, let's just get the one thing straight: I played in AN Army band, not THE Army band - big difference. :lol:

I was in one of the working bands whose bread and butter was marches and ceremonies, although being as close to Washington DC as we were (First US Army Band at Fort Meade, Maryland) we also did a lot of concerts and higher level ceremonies that a lot of other Army bands around the country didn't get to do. We had some pretty good ensembles in the stage band and the brass quintet which I was a part of for about 2 years, but at our best, we still couldn't touch the ensembles at the Field Band or Pershing's Own. It's not that we were bad, but those cats at the other two groups are on a different level altogether. Still, it was a ton of fun while it lasted.

I'll put you in my AIM buddy list and we'll chat about it sometime.