Lol I think I would the perfect setup for myself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Jun 26, 2010.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    I went to a music store the other day and I was trying out some horns the other day and I tried out a Yamaha Xeno and a Bach Megatone 3C, and I don't know why but I sounded really good. And it was extremely easy to get to the high range (even like double high Cs) and with a good tone too. And my endurance was crazy, I was trying really hard to see how long my chops would last while playing high notes and it never died out. I just think that this setup is just perfect for me.

Oh man I can't wait until I get both of those for my birthday

2. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Don't you just love birthday presents? lol

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    High Cs. Double high Cs are not the ones just above the staff, they are one octave higher. No horn will give you those notes. They really have to be earned on an individual basis.

I agree, the Xeno is a wonderfully efficient horn. If you get along with the megatone mouthpiece, great.

As far as the BS about your endurance in the upper register, The first concert will prove that what you describe is merely a figment of your imagination.

When I am with my students in stores picking out horns, we all get annoyed at the inexperienced that think a couple of high notes tells you anything about the axe. Besides just being obnoxious, it also shows that better MUSIC is not the reason that they are there. Your post did not mention music once............

Bagnewauckland likes this.
  4. 1stTrumpet

Nov 5, 2009
    Yeah you're right, maybe it was more of the mouthpiece than the horn.

But still I really like that horn and I'm gonna end up buying it anyway

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Rowuk -There is an old saying -wisdom is wasted on the youth. :)

Bagnewauckland likes this.
  6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston

+1

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    the 215th Army Band video on equipment has a hilarious example of how NOT to check out a horn lol

8. 1stTrumpet

Nov 5, 2009
    Its just that the reason why I was surprised was because as you can see in my sig I usually(but not really anymore) use a Schilke 6a4a, and when I was using the megatone 3C I had like as much or even more range as the schilke.

But yeah you're right its not just about the range, but come on its marching band season I had to see where my range was with the mouthpiece.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we can save just one through education, then it was worth it. I refuse to let visiters of this forum leave without at least a "nudge".

You are right though, the stupidity surrounding double C has no boundaries..... Mouthpieces, I will admit are tougher because the geometry does take its toll on the working brass player.

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    yah I own a Xeno also and when I first played it it wowed me also. But the truth of the matter is that it is just another horn, although a very good one. After the honeymoon period is over I think you will find its no magic wand. Congrats on having another birthday, Im not that impressed with birthdays anymore, I guess Ive had too many. As with most things in life if it makes you satisfied with your music I think it is worth it. Have fun & best wishes. Be careful about boasting on line though, the wolves will chase you.