Lol I think I would the perfect setup for myself

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Jun 26, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too have discovered a trumpet and a mouthpiece combination allows me to reach my limits both up and down. Hmmm I guess it must be the perfect trumpet and mouthpiece. Yesterday I got to as high as I had ever been on a Wednesday before ....... and then I woke up. :-?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Rowuk, you have commented several times about how the summer seasons brings out certain types of threads - this seems to be yet another one. :-)

3. RandyTx

RandyTx Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2010
    Central Texas
    True enough, just remember that youthful exuberance, buying shiny new silver horns for marching season, often with little or no rational thought behind their purchases, is what keeps a lot of these music companies alive so us old farts can still buy new horns when we want to. Be thankful their parents have the $$$ to pump into these companies.

;-)

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Unfortunately, a stellar test drive in the shop rarely translates to the same experience in the real world. Once the adrenalin wears off, it's just another nice new horn and mouthpiece and the same old you...:D

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Often referred to as the "honeymoon" stage, a horn that seems awesome at first will often feel terrible for a short while once the honeymoon phase is over, and then it takes a bit of time before you start to like it again.

This happened with my Schilke B6 in a BIG way - I got it and loved it for about 3 days, and then all of a sudden it was like I couldn't play it. That lasted almost 6 weeks. I attribute much of that to the fact that Schilkes play and blow so differently from Bachs (their self-intonation is different too) and since I had been playing Bachs for the better part of 20 years, it just took a while to adapt to the difference.

But, back when I was in the 8th grade I got to trade up out of a beat up King student model cornet for a Yamaha 739T. The honeymoon phase with that trumpet never ended -that was a terrific trumpet.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Youth is wasted on the young.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oh, man do I like that. That is a whole encyclopedia in one sentence!

8. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    It was probably more the fact that you believed so much that the trumpet was that good that made you play really well rather than the trumpet actually being that good. What you think has got a lot to do with what comes out of the end of the trumpet, if you believe you can sound amazing when you play the horn, then you will sound a bit better to most people, but in your own mind you will believe that you are far better then you actually are, you are hearing what you want to hear, not what's actually there. Sorry.

The prejudice against young people is really disturbing, everybody was young at some point, and they all acted like the youths of today, even though they don't believe they did, they had to learn, just as we are learning now.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not "prejudice" and never was. It is also not an assumption. It is a conclusion based on demonstrated behaviour/comments. No one here criticizes the need to learn or even those looking for tools to get access to knowledge. The beef is with those demanding to be spoon fed or pretending to have knowledge that they do not.

I freely admit impatience with the lazy. No generation (of all ages) has had more free access to information than this one. No time in history has the confusion between information and knowledge been greater. This generation needs the tools to figure out the difference, and the only tool is experience. If you offer the tools, you are accused of talking down to or picking on them. Further proof of the sad state of many of their minds, self esteem and true search for wisdom.

It is impossible to generalize, but there are many telltale traits that make young, bad habits easily identifiable. Those of you calling fouls merely need to open your eyes and try to understand the message instead of reducing everything to lowest common denominator. I am not here to feed egos. That is a WORTHLESS task. Those that deserve to be proud do get told so however.

Robin