London Calling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lonelyangel, Aug 2, 2006.

1. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Its 3:44am and I just got home from the newly refurbished Ronnie Scotts jazz club in London's Soho "one of the world shrines to jazz". I am quoting Mr Wynton Marsalis whom I have just had the absolute joy of witnessing giving a bravura performance with his quintet at the club. What a master - I am dumb struck at the mans virtuossity, musicality, generosity and humility. It was a rare concert tonight, totally accoustic with a sell out crowd in rapt attention throughout. I will post a more comprehensive review when I can think straight tomorrow.

All in all its been quite a week so far. Yesterday I met up wirth Pat Harbison to get the benefit of his first hand experience with the teachings of Carmione Caruso. Pat is here teaching on the Aebersold summer school in Richmond and he was kind enough to do without his mid morning break to squeeze in a private lesson for me - a very rewarding experience. Today he came along to see the evening performance of the Producers - he would have joined me at Ronnies but the gig was a complete sell out weeks ago. Also by chance the Norwegian Eclipse Dealer, Tron Syversen was in the audience at the show with his daughter, on a last minute shopping trip to London. I introduced Tron and Pat to each other and to the rest of the trumpet section , Ben Gant and Lance Kelly - we are all playing Eclipse MY these days. Actually later in the club I met up with Matt Winch and Jay Phelps so it was Eclipse 4 - Monette 1 -hmmmm...... that's not really relevent in the great scheme of things I suppose but it was a great hang!

I knew that an espresso at 2:00am wasn't great idea but if you ever come to London, Bar Italia right opposite Ronnies has the very best java in town.

I'll hit the hay now and if I have any time tomorrow between my revitalised practice sessions, I'll attempt a more coherent post or two.

Over and out. Noel.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wish I was there Noel.

Looking forward to the complete review!

-cw-

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So much for Wynton's "chop problems", eh?

What a great report, Noel... inspiring to say the least.

ML

4. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, no... you misunderstand. I fully acknowledge that he went through some medical stuff. My comment was basically as it was :"So much for [his] chop problems". Sort of like he went through his thing and now he's movin' on to what he's always done: playing great. I just like how relatively quick he dealt with it and has moved on.

ML

6. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Sounds great Noel - wish I could have been there - last time I was at Ronnie Scotts was to watch Maynard a few years ago - it's the best Jazz club I have ever been to - such a great venue/atmosphere - have they changed the interior much?

Pat - hope the JA workshop is going well! - Jamey is a special and exceptionally kind guy in my opinion who is completely dedicated to the education of Jazz musicicans and helping them progress - he is quite an inspiration in my opinion. Please pass on my best regards to him and tell him I ran an improvisation club using the materials he sent me at my school, which the students really enjoyed :D

I hadn't heard that Wynton had had some chop problems but I am glad that he is sounding as good as ever. Have you heard the track "the three trumepeters"on Nicholas Payton's album? - it has Wynton , Hargrove and Payton all soloing and then trading - it's great!

Gosh these internet sites are incredible giving mortals like myself the chance to interact with such amazing professional musicians/trumpeters such as Noel, Manny and Pat. Take care and have a great summer,

Graham.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the virtual trip to Ronnie Scott's Noel. What a great evening!

Hey Pat! Having a good time? Down a pint or two for me!

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    You guys plan these things for when I am out of the country :x :lol:

Glad you had a great time, certainly beats my Thursday evening on tour with a youth band (15 of us down with food poisoning :cry: )

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Looked at the door charge and decided this one was priced above my head!! Was in hospital anyway so couldn't have made it if I had booked a table.

Sounds very cool Noel, and I agree about Bar Italia's coffee, very nice.