Lone Player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpEl, Apr 20, 2015.

1. TrumpEl

TrumpEl New Friend

Apr 6, 2015
    Hello,

First post! Hopefully I do this right. How as the only musician at a church service play? I play the flugelhorn and have no assistance? The songs usually use the I-IV-V-I progression and "call and response" method. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andre

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    G'day Andre, welcome to TM - I thought I'd get in before everyone else.

I can't help you, but there are experts here with the experience to solve your problems - just wait a little while until they wake up.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Andre, just this past Sunday I soloed on F mellophone with accompaniment of a pipe organ with the song He Leadeth Me. Actually, on Friday we rehearsed and I was playing Bb trumpet. On our first pass she pulled the trumpet stop on full and blew me away. The organist is a very good piano player attempting to replace the former organist who moved away into a geriatric home. Here about, we play very traditional songs (as found in the hymnals), thus the chord progressions are not essential and improvisation just isn't acceptable. Yeah, I'll double Ted's welcome to TM. That is: mine plus Ted's one = double Ted's one.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Andre!

If the congregation is singing, about the best you can do is to just play the melody.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Vulgano hit it on the head. Play the melody (that's why we all became trumpet players, right? - the melody instrument) and everyone will think you are great. They recognize the tune and will sing right along with you.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    When I was playing in church typically for a four verse hymn. Melody 1st verse, tacit second. Third verse, descant above melody, sometimes alto or tenor part up the octave, melody last verse. We used The Australian Hymn Book, most down a tone from Hymns Ancient and Modern for easier singing, a descant book available.

Regards, Stuart.

7. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    How fortuitous you posted this thread, new fren. We've only had brass quintet playing accompaniment parts along with an organ, but the leader of the contemporary group asked me to play with his praise and worship ensemble. I'm going to use the cornet tonight at practice and see how it blends, he's got himself on vocals and guitar and three backing voices with a flute, clarinet, and violin. I wish we had some low brass, but sometimes the floutist will play bass guitar.

stumac's on the right track, give them the melody to sing along with.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've got a few friends with computer music programs that when they play my CD into the MIDI can then transpose it to another key that lowers it a step or more to making congregational singing easier. Otherwise, its been my experience that more than 90% of the congregation is still singing the melody in unison, and then mostly by ear in the same way they've always heard it.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    stumac 's right as always. Give them MELODY. But give them a bit of warning: Play the last four bars of the melody as an intro, then go into the melody. If you know how many verses are going to be sung, play every second, making sure you are playing with the last one. On the last one, you can play around a bit - do a descant or some second line. But only the last time!!
    And before the service starts, make sure they are not doing any of these 29-verse monsters!!

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Andre,
    Welcome to TM, and you have received good advice.

Cheers