Long pedal tones???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Long tones ... with pedals tones??? Does anyone do them? Good for you? Bad for you?

I enjoy playing long pedal tones, like a Digeredoo, but is it doing me any good? Bad? :dontknow:

Turtle

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I personally like doing it, especially after playing high a lot, it relaxes everything back, and people say it gives a better focus :-?
    And it helped my high playing itself as well. A lot.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do it. I think it is of great benefit to me. It takes control on those low fellows.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Just lately I'm finding it much easier to get them to rumble out of the horn, and now I'm doing long tones ... if I could circular breathe, I might be able to fool my neighbor into thinking I've taken up the Dig. :D

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I think it's good since I do them every morning (first part of lesson #1 in Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet) : it's a challenge for myself to go down lower and lower, month after month (step by step) … and to try to play them with more and more musicality, above all.

6. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I like to hold a pedal long as the base note of a two-octave arpeggio. Feels so good as part of a warm-up. Great for reconnecting with air focus.

BrotherBACH

7. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    Claude Gordon used them extensively as well as Louis Maggio. I play them and hold them out also.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Absolutely helps everything from tone control to high registry playing. It's like doing isometrics exercises before isotonic exercises in muscular formation. Also it improves our air support and breathing.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Depends on how long of a long tone you play to hold. Alan Vizzutti at his Master Trumpet class here in Dayton feels long tones are fatiguing, as they trap the lip into one position and the note is held long.

With that said, I do use long tones and to the end of my warm up, pedals, but I slur slowly through them all.

...AND when I am mentoring the Middle School students as a volunteer for a local school system, I warm up with these slurred long tones going from one harmonic to the next without breaking breath, as I do love to circular breath through the scales. Love to see the eye's bug out on the preens. Let's them know us old fogies have stamina (or are full of hot air:dontknow:)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Amphibians, I believe, should be able to do this.