Long pedal tones???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Agreed, Why do long tones at all (?), when you can do "slow" long tone lip slurs which have the same benefits without the stiffening effect on the embouchure and are very fatiguing as Allan Vizzutti mentions. Plus, holding the last note until all the air gone and longer (Claude Gordon) especially pedals will develop tremendous wind power.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I was raised by wolves. I can howl like nobody's business. Especially if there's a full moon. :woop:

Turtle

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A turtle in wolve's clothing:dontknow:

4. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I do lots of long pedal tones as described in Jeanne Pocius' book, Trumpeting by Nature. I don't start playing until my chops are sufficiently relaxed

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

This could be the best use of time ..... Slow, long tone lip slurs, holding the last note until all the air is gone. It's like three things in one exercise. :thumbsup:

Turtle

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND to circular breath this... warm up nirvana!

7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * Just pick up that horn and blow !!! *
    A systematic, progressive approach to your practice is in my opinion the only way anything will develop. The reason we must practice a variety of types of exercises is that the 7 physical elements can't all be develop at the same time, some can, maybe a couple together but the mind cannot fully concentrate on more than one item at a time, so we practice a whole variety of exercises aimed at developing one or more of these 7 elements until they start to work together. They must coordinate and work together until it becomes a habit.

8. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    What are the 7 physical elements you're talking about? I've never heard of such thing.

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    +1

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    pedal tones were one of my means to strenghten my breathing

very usefull stuff