Long Practice Sessions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    I love to practice and usually spend 1.30-2hrs a day working on scales, exercises and pieces. I have heard many people say that they practice for up to 4 hours a day. In order to practice for that long what do you spend all of that time on, without getting bored? :play:

2. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    When you reach the 'bored' stage, it is time to quit the instrument entirely..... :-o

I found this somewhere - maybe it's been posted before.....

“Practice with your fingers and you need all day. Practice with your mind and you will do as much in 1 1/2 hours.”(Leopold Auer)

How Many Hours a Day Should You Practice?

GijsVis likes this.
  3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Take scales. Scales can be a bit boring if just played straight.

But if you jazz them up a bit: alternate semi-quavers and triplets, some notes slurred, some staccato; cresc. start, dim. to finish etc. whatever you can think of really; and run that up and down, you're trying to concentrate on so many things at the same time, you don't have time to get bored. When you think you've got it nailed turn it into a triple-tonguing exercise (tu-u-tu-ku tu-tu-ku ad infinitum) and see if you can play it really fast.

Mind you when I was young we didn't have so many distractions - trumpet practice beat sitting in a field all day sucking on a bit of straw hands down.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    First, coffee. Then I would start off with some flow studies Charlie Butler compiled, along with two-octave scales--Do to Do, Re to Re etc. Took around 45 minutes but would effectively keep me warmed up for the day. After more coffee, Charles Peters' Total Range. Then the double and triple tongue exercises out of Arbans.starting on page 155 until "geht nicht mehr. After lunch (and a beer) I'd work on music for concerts (I figured if I could play the pieces tired there would be no problem playing on fresh lips.)

I studied with Gerald Webster, and he had this nifty "back pocket" idea. Practice time can become something like a savings account--we can reap the results over time, even on tour when there are lots of things to enjoy and little time to practice.

There are those that think that 1.5 or 2 hours should be a cap, but once addicted, trumpet is fun to play!

With four to six hours a day, practice becomes an addiction. What is nice is on tour, there is no real need to

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I prefer tea - Lyons Quick Brew, three bags to a pot, and let it draw for at least six minutes. That will revive any tired embouchure!! And, of course, never use any detergent to the pot - just boiling water to clean it. My mother once ruined a teapot that had been nicely seasoned over nine years by cleaning the residue off with borax... there are many crimes in the calendar I could more easily condone!

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    IMHO, if you're looking for mastery across the range from a full resonance low down through to clear and thrilling high notes, it's hard to beat Twinings Assam blend. No milk or sugar and, of course, warm the pot first!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    out of all these poor blokes on TM --- I will give you the best answer -- so watch all 3 of these videos!!!! and yes trumpetplayer24, you are most welcome!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u95lHDPqwI

8. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Try creating some music of your own reinforcing/incorporating some of the elements you ere working on; making music is fun, practice on the other hand can sometimes become a boring chore. Variety is also key, If your working on Lip Slurs/Arpeggios or something try using different books for a greater variety. I pray you have a piano; play the piano in between your rests. I'm not a piano player but I love learning and playing the piano experimenting with chords, creating your own exercises.

9. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012

This is interesting to read, because I have found that the High-Light of my day is practicing at lunch for 1-3/4 hours every day at work ..................

Weekends I record and or practice tunes and experiment with improvisation ............

When life does not allow me to touch the horn on a certain day, I feel guilty, and like something is missing from my life .................

Expression of the soul through the confines of my golden bell will satisfy the hunger that dwells within me ......................

Peace !!!