Long songs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Any advice on how to survive long songs with long hits? Two good examples of these would be the end of Russian Christmas (is there anyone that can make it through the last hit all the way at written dynamics without getting too tired or out of tune? Because I can't and I don't know how people would). Another good example my school is doing is O Holy Night. What do you guys usually do to be able to keep the horn on your face for a long time?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    In a word it is "practice". I am sorry if this sounds somewhat flippant, but it is the truth.

3. Learningon

Learningon New Friend

Dec 10, 2009
    Haha! I would have gotten to play Russian Christmas if I would have decide to stay in band instead of trumpet lessons!
    But, I would say I agree with s.coomer. If I miss two days of practice, my tone and endurance is waaay down. If you already are practicing every day, maybe you should try making you practice time a little longer to build your endurance.

4. ryancibc

ryancibc New Friend

Nov 8, 2008
    Canada
    Long tones, Lip Slurs and Intervals. I like (or better yet hate) the Schlossberg studies. lots of good work to do in that book particularily if you pay attention to the dynamic markings. I also for some of the exercises try not to take the mouthpiece off the lips and breathe from the cornors. Try to make the coronors of your mouth feel the muscle fatigue and not your lips. Endurance is probably the hardest thing to earn and also the most important.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    In general, endurance comes from a solid practice routine...it's been discussed here once or twice...

As for stamina in a specific piece...practice it softly. If you're used to playing too loud, don't go from FFF to ppp in one shot. Start at a comfy mp or so and over a few days, play it a little softer each time, and when you can get through it, you can add just a little more volume. Also, practice the end when you're fresh, and work back toward the beginning until you're playing the whole thing (softly!). When you play softly, remember to take a full and relaxed breath.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    While practice as suggested (plus I would add work on longer pieces to build up stamina) will eventually solve your problem, a more practical solution until you've build up your endurance is to work out carefully within the section (you do have more than one person playing each part, I hope) which sections each person will rest on while the others keep playing, and mark it in everybody's part, so that all but one trumpet are playing all the time, and that way everybody gets to rest during an exhausting section. Be sure everybody is playing at the end.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For highschool bands, the best solution is to divide and conquer. There are usually more than one first trumpet player which means that you can switch after a couple bars to get a short break.

If you do not have the endurance now, there is no shortcut, you will have to earn it before NEXT YEARS Christmas.

I played it alone last year.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For highschool bands, the best solution is to divide and conquer. There are usually more than one first trumpet player which means that you can switch after a couple bars to get a short break.

If you do not have the endurance now, there is no shortcut, you will have to earn it before NEXT YEARS Christmas.

I played it alone last year.