Long time to warm up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I've noticed if I get out my horn and start playing the highest I can play is a g on top of the staff and it's weak and sucky. After about 10 or 15 minutes of getting my range up there I can play high C's and D's with an ok sound, but still a little weak. I've heard some experienced players say you should be able to get out your horn and play fine, it's all mental. It is definitely not mental for me. I also know everyone is different, but am I doing something wrong? Maybe playing incorrectly the day before or not warming down well?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am no expert .. so this is just my experience.
    Some players like a tight feeling in there lip muscles... most guys I have seen who do this are screamers and use a shallow cup mouthpiece .. those are the guys I see not warming up ... they try to keep the lip muscle tight
    me ... I have to warm up... I look at it like this .. you warm up in sports to avoid injury ..
    If I am playing alot during the day and it's a break of just a few hours then all I need to do is some descending arpeggios starting from 3rd space C then go down in half step increments doing the same ... down to pedal C ...
    this gets my breathing going and lip muscles stretched out a bit..
    when I am done I always do the same down to pedal C ..
    my 2 cents

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

It was suggested to me once that though once you really get the hang of the horn, you won't have to warm up, but you should anyway.
    Trumpet playing is a physical endeavor and we need to prepare our bodies for it by warming up

4. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would argue warming up definitely makes things easier

If you're a pro, playing in Bach's Christmas Oratorio, there are unimaginably huge rests... You have to play it perfectly without warming up -- because you're on stage!

Some can do it, some keep their horns warm... So, I think both statements are correct. You need to be able to do it cold, but then warming up makes things easier.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I prefer to think of it more as "waking" up. :cool:

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Yeah, what a great feeling sitting through a very long passage and then having to come in on a something above the staff ... in tune.

7. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Like Russian Christmas...although I'm sure that's easy for most of you. I'm a rookie college age student.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You do what you have to do in life. You NEVER let the people that book you down. If you need a long time, you may just want to take a practice session (or two) per week and during those, just "go for it" - right from the beginning. Over years, this should increase our ability to respond earlier.

We are creatures of habit and cannot be expected to do things that we have not trained. It is useful when the face works immediately. Getting the brain trained to do the same is another story all together........

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't seem to need much time to warm up to be functional, and I think that this came about from my early days as an Army bandsman where I would roll into pouch gigs (ceremonies where the music consisted mostly of marches) pull out my horn and after a minimal amount of playing, do the gig.

As I've gotten older, if I'm doing more playing than normal I find that my chops are a bit stiffer when I start up the next day, but I can still be functional pretty quickly without an extensive warmup.

10. crh

crh New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    To warm up is to get your body and mind coordinated and ready to perform at the optimal level. On some days, that may take 5 mins and some days 45 min. That being said we must be adaptable and prepared for whatever may come our way.