Long time to warm up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'd like to point out that none of the people that book us care about the process. We just have to be ON when the hammer falls. Preparation is the secret. Formulas work well in chemistry and mathematics. The human body is not as "absolute"

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  3. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    As a comeback player, I take my time warming up. In part this is due to my performances being scheduled well in advance and are not part of an early morning call.

The same scheduling is true of rehearsals, but there I spend about five minutes, if that, in conjunction with some buzzing on the way. What little I do, is quiet and muted. Only chromatics and air flow.

Prefer the longer, but then again I really like to play. Some question in my mind as to whether the longer is practice or warm up.

For a long personal practice session of 90 minutes, I take 45 minutes to check on fundementals and then move to the etudes part of the session. I look at the 45 minutes as warmup time, but again it is really practice time.

However, it you are a pro there is no warmup time. You check your equipment and you do the work. But then again, you do not really cool down, mentally or physically, from the horn either.