Long tones : why doesn't it work for me ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Jul 5, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually Lionel,

the first two steps can change ones life - even when they don't play trumpet. Better posture and breathing bring a lot of advantages - like more oxygen for the brain, better concentration, less susceptibility to back problems. In lessons I even have my students "practice" entering a room for auditions. All of us take notice when a person enters a room and they are physically and mentally "centered".

The first impression someone new has of us - even before we have opened our mouths is if we are in control of our bodies - or even aware that they exist. There is a fine line between posture that lets others take notice or posture that causes others to put a stamp "stuck up" on us.

All of this stuff is also good for the trumpet but never addressed outside of lessons. I consider body use and breathing as so vital that it should be a required course in school, university and at the workplace!

I need to add something here:

How many times have we been disappointed in powerpoint presentations given? How many times was that related to lousy reading of the slides? Why does that happen? same as the trumpet - no strategic use of BREATHING!

2. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    From about 4:10 onwards I really started noticing your pitch steadily bending upwards on some of the notes. Do you have access to a tuner?
    Also, (though I'm not good at this either) your attacks seem a little strong like you're forcing your lips to vibrate. So perhaps try to not be so tense.
    Your tone is also wavery (not sure if this makes sense) so to get a purer tone really try and focus on an even air flow, I think taking deeper breaths will help with this. :-)
    I'm just an amateur player myself so the good guys may correct me.

3. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Thanks for the advices, I've never known all these things, posture, what we are, etc.
    I really thank you !
    I've always believe that the only thing I needed was to blow and moving my fingers.

4. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Yes, you're right, I was playing pianissimo that's why there is an attack.
    It's difficult to understand what I'm doing (even if you understood the main things to understand), sound is very bad, I play very closed to the microphone.
    I've got the same sound with the saxophone, it's not a classical sound (is it a wind instrument ?) even if I play pianissimo.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That is what I've always thought about saxophone!

Remember that when you "overblow" a woodwind the interval of a 12th above the fingering comes out. With the trumpet without valves we can play the C below the staff, G, C and E in the staff, G, Bb, C, D, E, F#.... We see the same pattern down a half step by depressing the second valve (B, F#, B, D#, F#.....) We spend literally thousands of hours perfecting flexibility--each note with the same fingering requires a differing amount of energy, and we teach our bodies to instantly (or close to it) move from one note to another.

Lip slurs (and the same exercises tongued) are essential for progress.

6. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    No, just like a brass instrument or everything else except clarinet.
    8th (2), 12th (3), 15th (4), 17th (5), 19th (6), etc.
    Clarinets just played 3rd 5th 7th 9th... harmonics...

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry, should have written reed instruments. You still need to do flexibility exercises and long tones until you get it right.

8. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    The thing I find more difficult than the ohers is the bugle call, don't laugh at me, it's a nightmare.

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bugle calls are hard! That is the thing you should be practicing! A real danger is avoiding the things we do the worst. Those exercises don't give us the same feeling as playing something we can do well, and it is human nature to repeat what makes us feel good.

10. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    A very accomplished sax player I once knew said: "All I need to do to play is blow and move my fingers." Sound familiar? A little insight into playing woodwinds, perhaps? I tried playing sax once, and it wasn't quite that easy. Clarinet, either. I guess once you've got the squeaking tamed, it might just boil down to blowing and fingering. Flute, however, is that easy.