Long tones : why doesn't it work for me ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I was joking, flute is more difficult than the saxophone (I started the flute one month before "starting" the cornet).
    Flute : Tenor Madness (Sonny Rollins) - YouTube

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I would say, adding, "above the staff", rather an insight into what 90% of horn band trumpet players do when they finally get a solo.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    "There's no sound in flutes. All I hear is noise." -- Buddy Rich.

4. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Lionelsax,
    I'm curious. Why not choose an instrument and stay with it for a while?
    I recognized your user name from the Jazz guitar forum, where I have been a member for a number of years.
    Seems to me, you received very similar advice there, on your guitar and sax playing.

Just wondering...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  5. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Hi Ron !

I play the saxophone, other instruments to understand harmony, and so what ? And I want to play a brass instrument.
    Why do you play the guitar and the trumpet ?

On the other hand, I play music for fun, sometimes it's my job and playing several instruments can help, I had been a bass player and a guitar player when I had no job. Being a saxophonist is difficult because when you're looking for some musicians to play a gig most of them don't know what a chord progression is, what a structure is, at the end you play it all whatever the style you play, you do the job without being excellent but it works.
    A lot of musicians do this where I live, when you're not gifted you try to be useful even if you play as you play, it does the job.
    Forums are fun because you can share ideas and read good comments, it's just internet, a gig is different, playing for real with real people is different too.
    Some musicians, I play with, when they see my stupid videos, say : "But Lionel, you're mad !"

6. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    I'd just like to add that it's often helpful to develop your skills a LITTLE bit at a time. For example, play a 10-second long tone and really listen and feel it for that 10 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds and listen and feel that. Do this a few times and put the horn down, and come back later. Focus! But remember to have fun, too.

7. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Hum, it's worst than it has never been, I've tried today and the day before, I don't know why, the cornet is fed up with me.
    Hey RonD, tomorrow I will buy bagpipes ! That's a great idea !

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Lionelsax, you've got reams of good advice now.

One thing has not been mentioned yet, though.

LEARN TO SING. Learning to sing means learning how to breathe properly. And that helps with any instruments that you blow into (except the violin, which you only blow into to remove dust). Get yourself a professional voice coach, fast. Best would be a full-time opera singer. Take a few lessons (need not be too many), and then see (and hear) the difference.
    If you need help finding a good coach, I might be able to help. PM me if you need assistance.

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006