Long Tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, Jan 1, 2009.

1. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    First, let me say thank you for all of the advice I get from each and everyone of you. It is helping alot. I have bought a new, different size, mouthpiece; completely off of a post I saw from one of you guys. It has worked out so far. So, thank you guys.

Now to the subject of this post.

I have gathered through various post that long tones are something both endorsed by some, and not by others. However, everyone has said that they will both increase range and endurance. Both issues that I need to improve on, as I have recently picked the horn back up after a 15 year break in practicing. I remained a Trumpet player, just got tired of practicing. :)

So, as a result, I have included long tones in my warm ups. It is the first 15 minutes of each of my 1 hr practice sessions, I do 2 of those daily.

I know it depends on each person, so no definite conclussion will be able to reached. However, in the opinion of those on this forum, is that enough time dedicated to long tones?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jason,
    I do advocate long tones. The quantity of long tones depends on how much time you invest in total.

Long tones give your chops, ears and brain a chance to synchronize. Think of them as a form of acoustic meditation. In our very busy lives, we often do not have the patience to pay attention to the small but important things. I know of no player that does not benefit. Those that question the use just have not given themselves a fair chance!

I play between 10 and 20 minutes daily. I do NOT read or have anything else going that could distract me. The purpose is to really HEAR and UNDERSTAND what is going on. It is not face time! I play them softly with NO tonguing to get the sound started! I just exhale into the horn.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Robin has hit on something that is quite important and you might want to zero in on the quality of your sound when doing long tones. Try and make them the sound that you are striving for in your working with them. The trick is then to duplicate that sound in your regular playing. Always listen closely to your sound and what you are playing.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    what kind of exercises do you do as there are an infinite number of exercises out there.

5. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    there are two long tone eercises at the start of my Rubanks book. I just start with those. Then I try and do various tones up to C5.

6. ian simkins

ian simkins New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    united kingdom
    My tutor got me using the Bob Findley method book. This has been a great help to me in developing my tone and endurance. Exersize No1 is very simple and is the first and last exersize i play in my practise routine. I always try to listen to the sound and slot and adjust accordingly .

Ian Simkins

Yamaha 8310z
    Couesnon Flugel

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    15 minutes is fine, long tones not only help to warm-up your lips, but also your breathing and mind ,while developing tone and endurance. Don`t forget lip slurs for flexibility.