Long tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BobtheBigFoot, Jul 2, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree. Most definitely poetic! It also gets to the point why this stuff is good in real life. Much better than saying that we shake that tissue up so that we can take a cellular dump and then flush the crap away with blood - avoiding pressure that would cause the process to block at all the wrong places.

Most players use too much pressure. That makes the mitochondrial effect minimal.

2. BobtheBigFoot

BobtheBigFoot New Friend

May 15, 2011
    I guess I have one more question I am going to bring up to my private lesson teacher but I thought I would get all of your opinions too. With the mouthpiece change, when I go above a G ( the one just above the staff) it sounds very fuzzy and air steadily leaks out of the right side of my lips. What could this be? Any thoughts?

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Switching from the Schilke 14a4a to the Bach 3C could cause a loss of range and or endurance,because the 3C cup is deeper than the 14a4a,so it does take more air. You might be using a lot more pressure than you think, to compensate for the loss of back pressure that you had with the shallow cup and tight back bore of the Schilke.

As for air leaking out the side of your mouth, try playing at very soft volumes,with as little pressure as possible.The reason air is leaking is most likely due to forcing(trying too hard).

With a mouthpiece change,it's almost always best to break it in by playing everything soft.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This generalization doesn't work for me and this accounts for 30 years of experience, my personal experience. I had Jarome Callet hand lath me a wide bore that was deeper than anyone I had ever played. It opened me up so much from the Bach 10 1/2C; true that one was small rimmed. At that time I was playing a club in NYC and the ensemble had to take my mic away, that how bright it was. And I thought I found mouthpiece nirvana.

But when I went into a panic after I thought I lost my Jettone Studio B, I want on a frantic search for a comfortable lead piece. I by chance happened onto the Schilke 14A4a. It opened up my sound brighter than the Callet. Don't just believe me, as Blaine that just heard me use this piece when I played mic-less the Blue Whisp a couple weeks ago. So for me, this "specialty" mouth piece opens me brighter than any wide rim, deep cup I have played in over 30 years.

Generalizations will get you into trouble at advising, as the sound frequency generated by mouthpiece buzzing is dependent on the anatomy of the player and the match up of mouth piece bore to trumpet lead pipe bore.

Its not just about size. - OK boys, let's keep the comment on this last important point straight and on track.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Does the leaking occur after you have been playing for a while? When my chops get tired I start getting "blowouts" .. leaking at the sides.
    I can't scientifically prove it but I really think the shallower cups give a different feedback than the deeper cups ... the player with a deeper cup or darker sounding horn may over blow to get the same feel from there horn that they get from a lighter horn or shallower mouthpiece.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Weak chops and the 14A4A don't get along - you have to twist too much to keep the lips out of the cup. That is not a generality. A 3C is deeper and that should make a lot of things easier for a weak player.

The 14A4A was designed for a specific type of embouchure that does not protrude into the mouthpiece very far. That means generally strong chops.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my Mitochondria might be small -- but I call them Mighty Mitochondria -- cause without them -- I can't play to much for too longROFLROFL

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I agree with Robin,you have to practice more to get either very small or very large mouthpieces to work efficiently.The mid. sizes are more forgiving.