long tones

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jan 5, 2015.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Long tones are mentioned by many for building endurance as well as range. I was just wondering how some of you play your long tones. Do you play a scale holding each note a certain number of beats? Do some of you hold a note until all the air is used up? Do you play up to your maximum range or not? I would like to know what helped you the most. Your response is greatly appreciated.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I "exhale" long tones - no tonguing. I play all the tones that I can exhale without twisting my face to get them. I alternate high and low notes. I play them as long as the sound is perfectly supported (30 seconds or more). I play them VERY softly.

What helps most is 10 minutes of this EVERY DAY for the rest of your life. For some, vacations without the trumpet have proven beneficial.

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thank you rowuk. will do. Your advice over the years has helped me a great deal. May 2015 be a banner year for you and yours.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I practice long tones as part of an expanding scale and really concentrate on listening. It is somewhat esoteric, but I listen to the sound fill the room (even at a ppp level) and try to pack more sound into the room. (Yeah, it sounds weird, but I can't describe it any better.) 10-15 minutes a day should suffice.

5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Just something else to throw into the mix. Moving long tones.. You could do Clarke #1 softly, slurred and tongued, in this order: 13, 12, 14, 11, 15, 10, 16, etc. - think of it as playing one long note when you do these.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    [​IMG]
    A few friends too many left with banners in 2014. I certainly hope that 2015 is NOT mine.....

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A banner year? I've already banned a scammer trying to sell counterfeit money on TM.

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Ljazztrm, I will surely try your tip. I've used the Clarke studies for some time, but not in the way you suggested.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  10. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Actually there are a good number of players who said that Clarke originally wrote the exercises in this order. Several great brass pedagogues succeeding Clarke have used this 'spiderweb' idea. Donald S. Reinhardt, Carmine Caruso, Bill Adam - I'm sure there are others.

The 19/30 exercise by Rusty Russell is very good. Vulgano's expanding scale idea that he was talking about further up might also be a good idea to do with the 30 second on/off idea of Rusty's. Maybe starting in the middle register and expanding up to high C and down to low F#.