Long warm-up player? What now?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jun 2, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I think I discovered myself to be a "long warm-up" player. I do a basic warm up of lip vibration, mouthpiece buzzing, long tones, flexibility runs, tonguing & slurring scales; approximately 10 min.. Then I begin to perform or practice. What I discovered in my recent practice is that I play most effectivly after 20 or 30 minutes of playing exercises. I wont go on with a detailed discription because I know the professional TMer's will recognize my experience. I'm looking to get some input from TMer's that do long warm-ups. All responses are welcome. Do I actually have to take up to 1/2 hr. of vigorous playing before performing a night of music? [WILL I BURN MY LIP OUT FOR THE GIG?] I'm a returning player making new discoveries after many years. I'm needing a little hand holding, and advice.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    you are probably going to inadvertantly start a war with these topics one of these days......... keep them coming anyway!

There is always a definition problem when one starts a "warm-up" thread. When does the warm up stop and the daily exercises start?

For players playing regularly over a long period of time, the warm up seems to be very short (many times out of necessity). The players without a steady routine tend to need much more time before everything gets smooth and predictable.

It is safe to say, the longer you have to warm up, the less power will be available for the gig. An experienced player can make due with essentially no warm up (probably still not optimal however). The more you warm up, the more you can concentrate on EVERYTHING that is NOT working 100%!

My definition of a warm up is the amount of time necessary to get the juices flowing. The day after jobs where I have beat my face up, I need a little more time to figure out how tough the rest of that day is going to be.

Today I have a dress rehearsal for the Hertel Concerto with Oboe in Eb, the Torelli Concerto in D and a cantata by CPE Bach. A couple of scales and slurs will be enough as I was a good boy yesterday!

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have had gigs start at 8:30 AM, what do I do? My usual very, very short warm-up.
    Wilmer

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you have the luxury of time, a long warm up early in the day will last a long, long time. (If the warm up makes us tired, then we'll be shot for the day.) When all goes good, I'll do 45 minutes in the morning (Charlie Butler routine) and then an extremely short warm up before the rehearsal or gig -- sort of a "yup, still works!" kind of thing.

If the call is before 9:00 am, however, don't expect me to be warmed up when I get there--but then, at that time of day some guys are even worse off than me. Early morning rehearsal calls are like being chased by a hungry bear -- you don't need to be the fastest out of the gates, just not the slowest in the herd.

Have fun!

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i used to take longer then i should have to feel warmed up. having to teach band class or lessons at early start schools changed that. I warm up with the kids at lessons (they have warm up exercises and do the I play you play with those) or even in band class start them and play along on their scale studies etc. I like 15-20 minutes but can get by with less. I find the Vizzutti materials work the best for me right now.

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I think I missed the "war". What I got from these replies is that "warm-up" depends upon time available, and the amount of playing a player does. It's like greasing the wheel while checking the working parts. I gather that the comfort zone depends on how developed your lip and face muscles are developed. I think I've got a ways to go, and therefore find myself in the zone after playing/warming-up a while (presently 20-30 of 16th note scales after some long tones)......discovering my trumpeter self for the first time.

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    20-30 minutes..........crow

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I know several guys around town who use the silent brass mute before a job to warm up. the added resistance of the mute cuts their warm up time in half, they are warmed up in about 5 to 10 minutes and it doesn't interfere with anything going on. they don't use the electronics, just the mute. Dave

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Dave, Thanks for that input I'll give it a go..........tom

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My warm up before a rehearsal or gig consists of a few scales, some interval slurs, and a little double tonguing - maybe 5 minutes tops. Any more than that is counterproductive for me - it just cuts my endurance on a long gig. As far as a warmup before practicing goes, it's all practice to me.