Long warm-up player? What now?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Mzony

Mzony Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I was somebody who was brought up on somebody's warm up routine. There were good things and bad things about having such a routine. The good things were pretty obvious: It covered most everything one would have to do on the trumpet, and it fostered a good foundation. The bad parts are now obvious to me: I became psychologically dependant on the routine before I would "practice", rehearse, or perform. As I continued my studies into and through college, I adopted another teacher's routine and the same benefits and non-benefits continued.
    When I started playing the gig, I found that these routines where making me tired (mentally as well as physically). I started coming super early to every service to warm up, rest up, and play. It became obvious that this wasn't my best plan.
    I started to collect other player's warm-up routines until about 3 or 4 years ago. At that point I decided to find out just how LITTLE warm up I needed and I experimented for a long time. The truth is, I can be ready to go very quickly, though during heavy weeks I may take more time.
    I've also created a better distinction between warm up and practice, though that line is often blurred. (I thought about that from one of Manny's Posts...He said something about Warm Up Sessions, being just a practice session. One must have VERY specific goals in every session, including a warm up session...both mentally/musically and physically.)
    As a result of all this trial and error stuff, I found my self to be a much more efficent trumpet player and playing becomes more natural feeling in the end.
    I just realized how long this post is. Forgive me.

Mike

2. Plithos

Plithos Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2007
    Greece
    Black and white...

me in the other hand..
    because of my job and my duties whatever they are..
    i warm for about 10 minutes and then get to play what i have ...
    all in a rush..

shit
    :dontknow: